Maxi 84 Rudder

sheber

Visit site
The lower bearing on the rudder is badly worn. Anyone any idea where I can get a replacement ?

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
G'day Sheber,

Try your local engineering and fabrication outlets. Your profile does not indicate you location or boat type, so it's a bit difficult to provide much more information to you.

Hope this helps.

<hr width=100% size=1>Andavagoodweekend, Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

aod

Visit site
It's a difficult one because a standard (if available) bearing will be slack on the worn shaft so really you need to get one machined up to spec. When I did this a couple of years ago it cost me £200 for two bearings and any marine based engineering shop will do it for you indeed they will source the material and everything. I strongly recommend that you avoid Delrin because it absorbs water and expands and on that point the engineer will have to allow for expansion of any material. Having gone through this a couple of times I would make sure you establish from the engineer what kind of guarantee you have.

I recently had new bearings machined up by Campers and after 4 months they went tight so I took it back and they agreed to drop the rudder and re machine the existing bearings free of charge.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TheBoatman

Visit site
I made some rudder bearings for a Maxi 84 some 5 years ago, I used Marine grade Tufnol the owners just put the boat back in the water and there is no wear at all, still as good as the day etc.
Over the years I have replaced bearings on a lot of boats and always use Tufnol, my uncles boat was done 11 years ago and still good.
Unfortunately I can't remember where Tufnols are, save that it's in the Birmingham area, try a web search for them. I'll warn you that it ain't cheap but will last forever. You can get a local machine shop to turn them up for you.

<hr width=100% size=1>