Mast weight

James_Calvert

Visit site
Similar to Vyv, I've moved our Sadler 32 mast around with one helper. And lifted on my own one end at a time. Normally stripped of rigging. It seemed a bit heavier than he says though...

Refueler

Visit site
100kg ???? You sure ?

My SR25 is more than that ... with all rigging / halyards - I reckon its more like 200kgs ... I know when I've carried with another guy - we were stopping every so often .... and my mast is about 9m.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I haven't tried lifting the mast of my Moody 31, but I get the impression that the stainless standing rigging weighs at least as much as the mast extrusion. I just checked and it weighs AROUND 2kg per metre, so ballpark figures are 20kg for each masthead stay and 10kg each for the lower shrouds and baby stay. That comes to ABOUT 110kg. Running rigging works out at about 0.75kg per metre; presuming there are 25m in each halliard (win some and lose some) that comes to well over 100kg. So the rigging alone on a 10m mast comes to over 200kg.

All very approximate, but probably within 10% of the actual values. I've probably underestimated the length of standing rigging.

doug748

Visit site
Possibly looking at 100kg but it will vary as to mast section and rigging size plus what ever else has been added to the mast over the years.

I would think that is about right, probably more but not a huge amount Same as the others, two people can shift one but you would not want to run with it.
I have just looked at an American site and an approximation gives about 4.6 kg per metre for the bare extrusion c55kg for the bare mast without fittings.

Refueler

Visit site
Soon I will be lifting my mast on the SR25 to centre it ready for trucking ... my Hiab has a cut-out when it reaches xx weight vs reach of boom. The max reach of boom I have gives me 330kg lift ... I will soon find out my mast weight by watching ..... and I am sure after carrying that mast a number of times - 100kg is nowhere near enough ..

IanCC

Visit site
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the weight of mast + rigging on Sadler 32?
Mast is Kemp and approx11.5m
Runs in my mind that the mast tube alone on my nic 31 is 300kg ish. My Mast spec. is available from drawings and weight per kg available from selden, even though it is kemp. Spec is beam width and fore and aft dimension of mast plus section profile. You might find it on selden web site.

B27

Visit site
I think a lot on this thread are wildly wrong.
I'd guess the extrusion around 5kg per metre.

For sure, the odds and ends add up!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I think think 5 kg per m seems reasonable, and if I double this for rigging then I shouldn't be far off at 110kg.
Thanks for the input.
I’ve helped move one quite recently, you are right, plus or minus 10. It was reasonably tough for 2 of us after 50 metres🤣 My own mast is thankfully lighter, in spite of being longer and having more rigging.