mast mystery

Davydine

Visit site
Dear All,

We need to get a new mast for our Macwester26 because the existing one has sustained some damage. I have requested quotes from a number of suppliers, and most are suggesting a mast with a larger section than our existing one - meaning a new tabernacle as well! One supplier has quoted for a mast with a much smaller section, and is adamant that it will be sufficient.

What do you all think, have masts grown bigger or smaller over the last 25 years?!

Thanks for the help...

David W

Strathglass

Visit site
Re: mast

David it is not the diameter of the mast that is relevant it is the stiffness and strength. Each of your quotes should be suported with XX and YY figures compare them to compare your various quotes. Also look at the wall thickness as well as overall diameter and compare this with your existing mast. A thicker wall thickness means that less diameter ic required for the same strength. Finally go to the Z spars web site and chose a section that matches your existing mast diameter, as long as this is the same or greater thickness it will do the job and save you a lot of other changes.

Davydine

Visit site
Unfortunately the original supplier is no more, and none of the current suppliers sem to be able to offer exactly the same section, they are either a bit smaller or a bit bigger!

Also I am not sure of the wall thickness of the existing mast. as I understand it would be OK to have a smaller section if the walls are thicker. is this right?

G

You could have a chat with a rigging company and get their take on this. XM rigging in Gosport (Ian) would be my favourite.

Pete

G

If you haven't already done so, check www.macwester.org, the Macwester Owners Assoc. They may have a facility to post questions so you can contact someone who has already faced the same problem. I had a Macwester 27 in years past (a sound if not fast boat) - in those days the MOA was always very friendly and helpful.

ChrisJ

Visit site
"Sustained some damage"? Looking at the way some of the round the world boats managed to repair and re-build masts while sailing in the middle of nowhere, maybe all you need is to take the current mast to a mast maker, cut it at the damage point, and add a new sleeve to it.
Adding a sleeve will make it a bit heavier and stiffer at that point, but shouldn't affect any of the other characteristics (and a 25 yr old boat wont worry too much about out right performance).

In general, most masts have got thinner over the last 25 years - BUT its all about bend characteristics and wall stiffness and rigging tightness and sail cloth holding its shape better and a myriad of other reasons.

Cheers, Chris