Mast down

RubyII

Visit site
Hi, I'm struggling to find the furthest Marina up the Thames going west, that can help unstepped my mast (straightforward freestanding rig lightweight). Then a reasonable transport link, so it can be picked up and removed kit unloaded, then use boat as a motorboat, heading west. Interested in your thoughts thank you, Paul

Chris_d

Visit site
You won't get through central London with the mast up so would need to step well before as there are virtually no facilities. I would suggest somewhere in the Medway area is your best bet.

RubyII

Visit site
You need to supply more info. Is mast raised or powered? Air darft with mast up/lowered?- you likely wont grt under any/many bridges above Teddington without lowereing. Draft - as you're presumably a keel/bilgekeel boat depth of water may be an issue further west.
River Thames: distances and measurements for boaters
Yes thanks more info - it’s a lightweight mast and I just need it supported and lowering this is normally done by Matlow type machine or any overhead, Crane. Yes, we are shallow draft.

oldgit

Visit site
You won't get through central London with the mast up so would need to step well before as there are virtually no facilities. I would suggest somewhere in the Medway area is your best bet.
Several places capable of doing this ranging from posh expensive marinas to small clubs and boatyards.
East Coast Forum best for details..............many posters own sailing craft.

Pump-Out

Visit site
@RubyII

I'll do my best - before I make a suggestion what, please is your air draft with the mast up, as that will impact my recommendation.

Can you clear the London bridges - Hammersmith being the lowest - even if that meant having the mast on your deck for a day or two?

oldgit

Visit site
Richard Stilgoe did this trip in one of these boats a few years ago. Written up in either PBO or YM
A large yacht made an appearance at the Maidstone River Festival a many years ago, had sailed over from the USA and the owners were touring the UK, in some detail.
The mast had been stepped somewhere after arrival .
Was amazed at the chutzpah of the skipper and his wife at even getting it up to Maidstone.
There were two stainless steel towers at both head and stern assuming for self steering gear ?, the height of which would have put a fly bridge or two to shame and as for what the keel needed to float ?

ianc1200

Visit site
A large yacht made an appearance at the Maidstone River Festival a many years ago, had sailed over from the USA and the owners were touring the UK, in some detail.
How long ago? I recall an American clipper bow yacht getting to Henley, late 60's or early 70's. Found a photo of it somewhere too.

oldgit

Visit site
How long ago? I recall an American clipper bow yacht getting to Henley, late 60's or early 70's. Found a photo of it somewhere too.
Blimey :unsure: going to guess it was the late 1990s or early 2000s, vaguely recall either owning a Princess 25 or Princess 33 at the time.