Masking tape - beauty contest

zoidberg

Visit site
I've had the notion, from here, that 3M Blue painters masking tape had the best of reputations.
Now I find 'Colad 5000 Orange 14 Day Masking Tape' recommended as better.

Any experience to share that I could lean on?

scozzy

Visit site
Their big selling point is UV protection for a few weeks..as self employed decorator of 30+ yrs one of my first questions would be " what painting application needs tape in place for a fortnight? Well applied( dry substrate, suitable ambient temp) low tack tapes are all good at what they do,a heavy handed brush or roller is the real issue IMHO..

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Their big selling point is UV protection for a few weeks..as self employed decorator of 30+ yrs one of my first questions would be " what painting application needs tape in place for a fortnight? Well applied( dry substrate, suitable ambient temp) low tack tapes are all good at what they do,a heavy handed brush or roller is the real issue IMHO..
The only reason I can suggest is if you’re working in your boat some distance away from home and you’re only there weekends and you need to apply several coats. Not ideal as the paint may have ‘over cured’ when you’re applying the next coat if you’ve left it a week?

G@zza

Visit site
I wasnt happy with the 3M Blue recently. Left residue marks on the hull after just 2 days. First time I have done this job, so i'm open to having done something wrong.

scozzy

Visit site
The only reason I can suggest is if you’re working in your boat some distance away from home and you’re only there weekends and you need to apply several coats. Not ideal as the paint may have ‘over cured’ when you’re applying the next coat if you’ve left it a week?
I can see how it would appeal to someone travelling some distance to boat on weekends and is an eye grabbing selling point but for me I'm not convinced and I'm using the stuff all the time ,you only need 1 or 2 tiny weak points you missed after a week away and that lovely straight line isn't that straight anymore....

PCUK

Visit site
I have recently used the new 3M washi tape that has a sixty day life. Very fine edges as well.
Also Pro-Dek gives a very fine edge from DIY shops.
The difference between decorating and boat painting is that the paint often needs several days to cure and I find it is netter to leave the paint to cure before tape removal rather than the decorator's method of removing almost immediately.

Neeves

Visit site
I think it depends on what coating you are applying and the climate. If its warm and sunny you can use a cheap tape for antifouling, but for gloss where you need a clean edge then spending money is worth the expense.

If it might rain or a heavy dew - cheap tape simply causes extra work (and more tape is needed to replace the wet tape).

Most people's only exposure to tape is antifouling when the forecast will be relatively accurate, you can do the job over 2 days, then cheap tape. If you are repainting a yacht different issues - and you need to weigh up the risk of weather etc.

Jonathan

Neeves

Visit site
Sorry cannot accept your comment - I've just seen the cricket in Scotland - the weather looked absolutely magic (a vast improvement on the weather when I lived there - must be global warming :) ).

But maybe I'm harsh and should accept you comment, Scotland is NOT England.

:) Jonathan

Metalicmike

Visit site
Bit of a sticky subject, If you can afford it what does it matter anything has got to be better than the standard stuff that peels off or makes a home for its self.