Maryport Cumbria

plopp

Visit site
Moved my boat up there Easter this year had aproblem cradling off,so did not get any sailing in this year (still on going) does anbody sail from there .remember a long keeler called Halcyon there looked good any imformation recieved with thanks.(boat still on the hard)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by plopp on 11/11/2002 03:27 (server time).</FONT></P>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I used to sail from there in my previous boat, an all aluminum 7m Extravert. There is a picture of this boat at...

http://www.xrayted.freeserve.co.uk/images/extranef.jpg

The marina used to be run by someone called George, who did a great job and built it up. Then he handed it over to his son, Keith, who did a lousy job, upset many people, and successfully ran it down. I was one of the many people who left at that point because he had damaged my boat and never compensated me for it. I believe that Keith was kicked out and now it is a happier place again.

Despite the management problems the berthing masters were really great and very friendly. I used to work at Sellafield occasionally then, and in summer I would stay on my boat rather than in a hotel. The berthing master would wake me up at 7 and bring me a cup of tea.

Maryport, as you have probably realized, has its problems typical of a lot of that coast of low economic activity because of its location. The up side of that is prices are cheap. No one rips you off there and everyone is glad of your custom.

For sailing I think it is a great location. The coastal ports of Cumbria are OK but nothing special, but the view of the Lake District is pretty good. Just over the Solway in Dumfries and Galloway I think that this is some of the best coastal scenery in Britain. The estuary that Kippford is on is about 4 miles long, craggy at the sea end and then narrowing to steep and wooded sides, ending in the very quiet and secluded village. The estuary up to Kirkudbright is also good. The Isle of Whithorn is a suprising harbour shaped hole in the rock with an ancient pilgrims chapel next to it, and the Isle of Man is a day away. Ireland is not too far either.

Tidal access if a limiting factor there, as it is for a lot of Cumbria and Galloway area, but it's not worse than a lot of other places in the country.

I keep meaning to go back to visit again by sea. Maybe next summer.

Bergman

Visit site
I had 2 years there around the time Keith AKA West Coast Sailing were kicked out. The marina is owned by local councils through a development company and they have now put their own manager in. He is a really first class guy caled Steve, goes out of his way to be helpful and has probably done more than anyone to revive the place.

I agree with comments about sailing area it is really good. My only concern was getting into the place if weather turned nasty, particularly from SW. If you get yourself north of Mport its a case of here be dragons, more sand than sea.

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I agree with bergman about SW heavy weather. Workington supposedly is a safe haven in all tides and bad weather and they will give you refuge if required, otherwise it's a none too pretty working port. I never had to use it in anger.

I only went North of Maryport once to Silloth to see what it was like. There wasn't much water up there, and what there was was whizzing around all over the place. Pretty enough place though for a one off visit. When I was last there it was still a working port, but only just. There was one ship that used to plug up and down occasionally, carrying what I don't know.

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
We sailed our last boat from there for several seasons ' Valere'. We found some great sailing mainly for bilge keelers when you can sit on the sand at places like Kippford. I have to agree with Bergman and Extrovert about the place, we left to find new places and due to Kieth who was worse than others seem to suggest "Don't hassel me I've a marina to run!"
We spend some time in the Clyde asnd still see a few of the old Maryport boats about the area.
The marina has picked up and is quite full we are back there in the spring for the first half of the season.
The club used to organise some fun events like to twin peaks race, sail to Heston and Ross islands running to the top of each, and did you have to down the guiness or was that after the race?

Be good to see you there in 03

PB