Mary Cup Race

Mr Boats

Visit site
The REYC are holding the 50th annual race of the revived Cup on Sat 5th Sept. Its not too late to enter (Free!!!) but the BBQ at Medway Cruising Club is £6.50 per head. All welcome.
Start from MCC start line down the Medway & back in 3 classes. Prizes for the winners in each class.
Entry form on line at reycchathamharbourmaster@hotmal.co.uk
See you there?:encouragement:

Mr Boats

Visit site
Briefly, the club became the Royal Engineer Yacht Club in 1846, making it one of the most senior yacht clubs in the United Kingdom. The REYC continues to this day, and is one of the oldest sports clubs in the British Army.

The REYC was originally based on a raft in St Mary’s Creek, now the site of Chatham dockyard locks. Activities in Chatham have recently been reduced. Membership is made up of serving Royal Engineers and other servicemen and civilians attached to the garrison with associate members from the wider community in the Medway area. The club operates moorings in Chatham and Upnor reaches. Currently moorings are available.

Mr Boats

Visit site
When did you stop having a race supper at the RE Barracks?

It used to be a highlight of the year. I love the paintings by Cunio and all the trophys...

Before my time, I`m only a youngster I`ll have you know.
Seriously though I don't know the answer but I agree the Mess and its finery is something to see.

Mr Boats

Visit site
My original posting of the race did not produce any more entries, however we had a good time and the event was enjoyed by all those taking part. What my posting did achieve was of huge significance. We were contacted by a man whose wife had found an old tankard 10 years ago. It was awarded to the winning boat crew, in the very year the REYC was first founded, at the Sheerness Regatta for rowing.
The Trophy was re presented to the club again tonight and will be treasured as a very real link to our history.
Our thanks go to Ian and Nadine for this very generous donation who journeyed down from Bedfordshire to spend the day with us as guests of the club.
By the way we are still looking for another missing Mary Cup. We have two, a 3rd is known to be in the USA. Anyone seen the 4th one?

xyachtdave

Visit site
Who won and how many boats took part?

I managed to win the the Bill Stewart cup in 2010 awarded to the youngest skipper, luckily 37 was good enough.....not sure 42 is a low enough number now!

:)

Mr Boats

Visit site
xyachtdave its nice to hear from previous winners. The Bill Stewart cup is still awarded to a competitor in the Mary Cup each year.

Only 7 boats took part this year, a disappointment as it was the 50th, 2 in class 1, Winner Big Zipper. 4 in class 2 and only 1 in class 3. I will get the full list of boats & positions later.

A few years ago I was one of three on the start line and we had difficulty in recording everyone over the line. It would have been a nightmare for anyone coming up Upnor Reach. Wall to Wall or should that be Mooring to Mooring cruisers all acting like dinghy racers, brilliant.

I think 42 would still put you in the juniors on yesterdays turnout. :)

xyachtdave

Visit site
Watch this space then for details.

Will do Mr Boats!

It'll get more difficult to win 'the youngest skipper' as the years go by but I've got a 13 year old daughter....

I had a REYC mooring for several years and enjoyed my time next to Upnor Castle. The harbourmaster Ken was a great chap and worked tirelessly for the club as I remember.