Mariner Outboard Service

aowen

Visit site
Been doing the annual service on my 2.5hp Mariner outboard today with reference to my downloaded Operating and Maintenance manual. Two items remain uncompleted - lubricating the splines on the driveshaft and changing the water impeller. Both of these are classed as ' authorized dealer items only.' Can't believe they can be that difficult. Does anybody have any useful instructions? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

VicS

Visit site
The water pump impeller should be very easy to change as the pump is just behind the prop. Remove the prop (look out for the shear pin) two bolts hold the water pump and the cover. The parts diagram of the gear housing at http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury_parts/11761/100.cfm shows how it is all fitted together.

Normally I'd assume the drive shaft splines were those at the top of the drive shaft where it splines into the crankshaft but this engine has the drive shaft in two parts. All also shown on the above diagram.
To get at the drive shaft you will have to drop the gearcase off the leg but that looks simple enough.