Mariner 60HP 3 Cylinder

G

Hi I wonder if anyone out there can help me.

A friend of mine has a Mariner 60 HP 3 cylinder outboard engine 1994 which has taken a battering in recent bad weather.

He is currently trying to clean it thoroughly and is having problems removing the cylinder head.

Can any one please explain how he can remove the head or recommend a website where we might be able to obtain a schematic diagram showing the area in question.

Thanks in advance

Bob Riches

G

Heat it up (it is an engine so can stand high temperatures), apply loads of penetrating oil, Do that a few times and the bolts will spin undone.....well hopefully??

G

When you say the cylinder head, it's just a cover that forms the top of the combustion chamber. Theres no valve gear, so I'm not sure the point of removing it to clean up after bad weather.

It's probably just stuck on the gasket if it's that old (assuming you've got the bolts out ok). Needs careful levering up. Lever near the webs in the casting. Suggest the following good sources.... Mr Grubb at www.oldmercs.com and http://www.pfs-ware.com/kwast/disc_toc.htm

These are obviously Mercury related but the 3 cyl 60 is a mercury engine with mariner decals if I recall. Good luck!

G

you may be interested to learn that mariner have NEVER made a 60 3 cyl with a cylinder head, maybe your friend wants to remove the whole power head? Where are you Bob, i might be able to direct you to a good mechanic, your friend will be better off "in the long run"!