Mariner 2.5 2 Stroke Flooding Immediatly

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hi all

I've got a 2.5hp Mariner 2 Stroke and as soon as I open the fuel tap I see fuel coming out of the front of the carburetor ( air intake? ) which then overflows and starts dripping out of the housing.

Obviously it won't start!

Any thoughts?

Thanks

David

Spyro

Visit site
If you can turn the engine over you may be able to remove the float bowel on it's own. As others have said almost certainly gunged up float chamber. spray with carb cleaner and clean it all out.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
You need a long skinny screwdriver to remove the float bowl. The pin holding the float in can be pushed out and the float removed. This allows you to clean out the float needle valve and seat plus the main jet.

You should definitely do this even if you gat it running this time.

For some reason this is an increasingly common problem possibly associated with the addition of etchanol to petrol.

Spyro

Visit site
I've found it got worse when I tried running the carb dry. I reckon It would never run dry but leave a small enough amount in the bowl that would evaporate more easily than if it was left full. I've just started and run my outboard today and it's been in the garage since December with a full bowl . I open the fuel cock and give it a couple of tugs on the start cord about once a month just to keep it full and I've found this better than trying to leave it dry over the winter. Same fuel as was in it at the end of the season and today it started on the 3rd pull

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Has spraying the WD40 solved the sticking float/valve and stopped the fuel flow?

I don't really see how it could have unless actually starting the engine has created enough flow to clear debris from the valve/free the float.

Richard

It started it and ran for a short while, so I know compression etc is ok. But stopped and the problem is still there. It's going to need stripping and sorting properly, and now I know what I am looking for. So thanks all for pointing me in the right direction :)

Spyro

Visit site
It started it and ran for a short while, so I know compression etc is ok. But stopped and the problem is still there. It's going to need stripping and sorting properly, and now I know what I am looking for. So thanks all for pointing me in the right direction :)
Stripping is a bit drastic, just take the float bowl off and clean it out. Spraying wd40 all over it would do nothing other than attract dust and dirt.

No Regrets

Visit site
Remove flat bowl and check the float isn't full of fuel (no longer a float!)

Otherwise, clean, check and refit. It'll probably be fine, as it was when last used.

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Remove flat bowl and check the float isn't full of fuel (no longer a float!)

Otherwise, clean, check and refit. It'll probably be fine, as it was when last used.

Hi All

Thanks for your input. After looking at it further I gave up and bought a Torqeedo!

SWMBO is much happier as she no longer has to battle the 2 stroke thing and no more petrol onboard.