Marineforce/Cruisermart/Shoreline

DKnight

Visit site
I've noticed that my local chandlers have closed here in Southend, I know they have had a checkered history, and been taken over several times, but any one know any more?
Any chance of them re-appearing again??

DK

cfrew

Visit site
Marineforce has gone into adminstative recievership and as far as we know, three of its stores have been taken over by other companies.
The company, formed in 2001, sold its Bristol, Poole and Lymington branches but had hoped to trade from its remaining stores.
The names Cruisermart and Shoreline are also no longer in existance.

for more details please visit http://www.ybw.com/ibinews/newsdesk/20020709103220ibinews.html

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by cfrew on 22/01/2003 10:09 (server time).</FONT></P>

paulrossall

Visit site
I think Marineforce were the latest and they are in Receivership, as were Cruisermart before. Although we all moan about the cost of buying boating bits it is an expensive business stocking all the bits. Also it is a bit like sports shops 20 years ago where every retired footballer seemed to open a sports shop and as most of them had no business sense at all they went bust. Lots of chandlers seem to be full of sailboard types who make the mistake of wearing very flash expensive clothing, which puts the average hard up sailors back up, and they then proceed to try and sell anything regardless of whether it is aplicable for your wants.
In my expeience if you want some advice on what product to buy for your boat the last place you should go is these chain chandlery companies, far better to go to places that have been family run for decades, where the bloke you are dealing with has a pride in his reputation and realises that if you do not buy today then you are likely to go back again just because of the service and advice you got. I then don't begrudge paying a reasonable price because you are paying for a proper service.IMHO.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
I thinks its possible a chandler will reappear in Southend. I'll say no more than that.

John
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.allgadgets.co.uk>http://www.allgadgets.co.uk</A>

claymore

Visit site
Slightly drifting off the point but I've found mailspeed very good for ordering and quick return posting. They have a good website too

regards
Claymore

DavidBolger

www.ladyrowena.net
Does anyone know if the London Yacht Centre is still open in London City (just off Liverpool Street)? I think it was owned by Marineforce. If it was closed, can anyone recommend anywhere in London city where I can get marine supplies such as charts, Reeds updates etc.? I used to use the London Yacht Centre or Kelvin Hughes (but they have closed down their city location). I travel to London on business and use these trips to stock up on these type of things as it is usually cheaper and better choice.

bedouin

Visit site
No - it closed a few months ago

I'm not sure what is left - Is Captain Watts still around. They were part of Marineforce as well.

claymore

Visit site
They must be doing OK looking at my ageing friend Simon Relph's expanding waistline. A testament to good living if ever there was.

regards
Claymore