Marine AC cable

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Does anyone know of a supplier of European coloured marine cable for AC system. Google searches only give US colours which will be very confusing given that they use black for line/live which is generally considered to be a “safe” DC wire on a boat. Weirdly I can only find the European colours available in US sites. Seems weird that we have their wire and they have ours! Do people just use standard flexible cable in the UK and not bother with tinned wire or marine insulation? All the 12V wire I have used is marine, tinned with insulation that resists diesel, oil and other contaminants. Seems odd not to expect similar standards in the more lethal AC system.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I would really prefer to use marine cable. Seems odd that marinised 12v cables are easy to get hold of in European colours of red and black rather than the US red and yellow but AC is so hard to get hold of. I can get cable “made in the UK” but it doesn’t have our colours. Is it that the US take their AC wiring more seriously than us. Silly that it would be easy for me to wire the whole boat on US colours both on the DC and AC side with locally sourced cable but if I want European colours I have to source it from the US! Is there a reason why we settle for non-marine cable for AC but don’t for DC? Or does everyone else not bother with marine cable at all?

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Outdoor events industry tends to use H07, far tougher environment than your boat cable will ever see >

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/cables-and-accessories-ho7rn-f-rubber-flexible-cable
I would say “different environment”. It’s not tinned so IMO not suitable for a marine environment and will be susceptible to corrosion. My cable will be static so doesn’t have to cope with being thrown around or trodden on but does have to cope with vibration, salt water environment and potential oil/diesel contamination. I would really like, when doing a job, to use materials specced for that job.

GHA

Visit site
I would say “different environment”. It’s not tinned so IMO not suitable for a marine environment and will be susceptible to corrosion. My cable will be static so doesn’t have to cope with being thrown around or trodden on but does have to cope with vibration, salt water environment and potential oil/diesel contamination. I would really like, when doing a job, to use materials specced for that job.
Ah, sorry, thought you were talking power to the boat cable. Brown & blue tinned cable came up on amazon straight away. Or do you want it to be 3 core? Won't be seen so no different to the electrons.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
I was going for 3 core. I have always ran 3 core cable for AC on land. Seems reasonable to have all your cores protected by the same insulator. Tends to be easier to pull cable also when all together. I might have to compromise as you say though. What do boat builders in the UK do? Does Oyster just accept a lack of correct triplex cable in European standard AC colours? No wonder so many people just use domestic solid core cable if nobody cares enough to stock the right stuff.

pmagowan

sites.google.com

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I was going for 3 core. I have always ran 3 core cable for AC on land. Seems reasonable to have all your cores protected by the same insulator. Tends to be easier to pull cable also when all together. I might have to compromise as you say though. What do boat builders in the UK do? Does Oyster just accept a lack of correct triplex cable in European standard AC colours? No wonder so many people just use domestic solid core cable if nobody cares enough to stock the right stuff.
Not sure who the "so many people" are that use solid cable for AC, i'm not seeing it.

Every production boat i have ever worked on has used 3 core, untinned, flex.

If it's kept dry, untinned cable last for decades.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Interesting.
I will probably just import some from the US since that seems the easiest, if not most perverse, way to get hold of it.
Does everyone just use auto cable for DC also? The tinned DC stuff is widely available but if we, in the UK and EU don’t really have concerns about the use of standard cables why bother? Perhaps my history with wooden boats which often contain a saltier and damper environment than plastic ones has affected my opinion. I have removed battery cable that was severed right through at the lug due to vibration and corrosion. I stripped wires back 8 feet or more where the core was still corroded from moisture ingress. It just needs one fitting to cause a problem so I would rather do it right.