Marinas on the West Coast of Italy?

DreJen

Visit site
Currently have the boat in Varazze - long term goal is to head down to Greece over the next two years and are looking for marinas to spend a few months at heading down the West coast of Italy.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Particularly looking at areas with interesting bits of coastline as slightly bored with Varazze and Eastward.

We are still fairly new to boating so are only looking to travel around 4-6 hours East from Varazze as part of the trip to the next marina but options seem to be fairly limited.

La Spezia? Pisa? Livorno?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

jrudge

Visit site
Pisa is " ok " but is out of town a bit. Pisa itself it lovely in the centre but it is very small and you can cover it all in an afternoon. You can get to Lucca etc easily by train.

I have also heard that in winter it is not that protected as I did consider wintering my boat there but was suggested I look elsewhere.

La Spezia Is a busy town with navy activity. Porto Venere is lovely. I don't know either by sea. Quite a way from the airport.

Hooligan

Visit site
I think best area on W coast of Italy is Amalfi. Access to the Pontines and Aeolians as well. I stayed a couple of years at Marina d’Arechi which is fairly easy to get to, functional and wasn’t ridiculous in those days. Also quite modern. Good stepping stone for Greece.

veshengro

Visit site
For somewhere away from the mainland. South West corner of Sardinia is a small island, Isola Di San pietro and on the East coast of that island is a small place called CarloForte. In the past I stayed there on a couple of occasions, on my last visit they had built a Marina there. It's a great place with an interesting history. Many of the old families in the Port historically came from Genoa, resettled there long ago by a local Nobleman who paid them to work the Tuna Fishing in nearby waters. Regular ferry service to Sardinia and the island gets busy during National Holidays with trippers. Very....shallow in places on the approach. (y)

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
We enjoyed a few weeks in Punta Ala. Also a quick blast across to Elba.
IMG_5241.png
We wintered in Ostia, Rome and although we went back and forth, there was a large fun live-aboard group there. Not a great coastline but perfect for trips into Rome to really do it.

Dogone

Visit site
I
For somewhere away from the mainland. South West corner of Sardinia is a small island, Isola Di San pietro and on the East coast of that island is a small place called CarloForte. In the past I stayed there on a couple of occasions, on my last visit they had built a Marina there. It's a great place with an interesting history. Many of the old families in the Port historically came from Genoa, resettled there long ago by a local Nobleman who paid them to work the Tuna Fishing in nearby waters. Regular ferry service to Sardinia and the island gets busy during National Holidays with trippers. Very....shallow in places on the approach. (y)
I just checked the depths. 4.2m is minimum shown on Navionics.

simon

Visit site
Currently have the boat in Varazze - long term goal is to head down to Greece over the next two years and are looking for marinas to spend a few months at heading down the West coast of Italy.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Particularly looking at areas with interesting bits of coastline as slightly bored with Varazze and Eastward.

We are still fairly new to boating so are only looking to travel around 4-6 hours East from Varazze as part of the trip to the next marina but options seem to be fairly limited.

La Spezia? Pisa? Livorno?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
We have just spent 12 months in Porto Mirrabello La Spezia and thoroughly enjoyed it. Flights easy into to Pisa and either drive or train to La Spezia. Lots of nice places close by from Portofino in the north past the Cinque Terre to Portovenere and La Spezia. Not far heading South to Viaraggio, Pisa and the Tuscan Island. Everything you need in La Spezia and open all year round. My only complaint has been the weather, seemed to never stop raining!