Mallorca (best bits)

REDVEE

Visit site
In late may I will be chartering a Gobbi SC425 out of Plama Mallorca.
I am trying to gather information on the area.
Rather than the formal almanac, would prefer to read other folks experiences. You often write some extremely useful tips. You always state the most fun you had, how and where you had it. You often state the bigest mistakes you made.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
if you do a search on mallorca
you will find lots of posts on where to go.
consider ibiza or menorca too.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

tcm

Visit site
Hm, Not sure a gobbi powerboat is too scuttlebutty, but most of em have got bavs and a gobbi is like that with two big diesels instead of a mast.

You'll have great time.

Ask the charter/maint co if they can lend you spare shorepower connectors for various elecy points for different marinas before you leave

I am wildly guessing you start from Club de Mar. Most do.

I wd go clockwise from palma. Supermarket at club de mar is over the dual carriageway from near the capitainerie. I wd get everything cos not great this time of year for supplies but fine to eat out.

In palma, cab into town in the old town for authentic olde spanishness in narrow streets just west from catedral and on the front. Be smart.

Short hop from Palma is Puerto Portals, glitzy, protected anchorage right outside one of europe most expenisve marinas, great if quiet, else try and grovel in there, or ask at capitianerie if you can stay on the fuel pontoon . Good restaurants, my fave is Bismarque, not mega-expenisive, not crap, bout 30 euros for best blowout on the island, needs booking, radio capitenerie for the number praps.

Andraixtx another option along the way south side. Beautiful screnery, nip thru Dragonera gap and can hang close in all along north shore.

On North side, Soller is nicely undeveloped in bowl-like harbour, anchor anywhere - yes i'f d want dinghy there.

Next is round the corner on E side in pollensa bay, bit nothingish town, but option to choose to go to cuidadella on Menorca or not. Do not go with westerllies, only if serttles for a few days. Mahon not really wortth the hack imho unless you want to pil;e on the miles. Rotten sleep in open cuidadella if any west in the wind.

Back on east coast of majorca the places are mostly cheapy housing estates, bit empty and dead out of season, tho will be waking up in may. eg good protection from wind in cala d'or and v english full breakfasts a possibility. Need dinghy to cross the harbour.

South coast Es Trenc is a good sandy anchorage, blue water close in behind the reef which stretches from the east side of the bay. Fun bars on shore. Safe bathing.

Nice bash bash up south coast ends at arenal marina, just inside bay of palma, well used by long-distance travellers, free swimming pool may just be opening and ace clubhouse will bring you massive drinks cheap in comfy armchairs.

In sun you'll get 25degrees c +, but colder in evenings. make sure you take/get provide 12v light on long lead for sitting on deck cos it's dark earlyish and sharp.

Massive dew/condensation so keep windows cracked open. Thermals not needed unless you are greek/egyptian used to hot temps.

Biggest mistakes in majorca: not recognising a Cornataion Street Soap star, getting overheard by Anthea Turner for commenting on her lack of boobs, not pre-booking the Bismarque in Portals, being underdressed in Palma town, not having right socket for Rapita, staying Rapita which is a dump anyway, Not having enough snorkelly gear, not buying enough basics from the supermarket to start, Not staying two nights in Arenal when they had pool open.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Calla Collabra is always a highlight when I have sailed people around that neck of woods. Lovely overnight anchorage, perfect for a BBQ on the beach.

Will

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: BBQ

Oh yes, buying BBQ stuff is a good idea. The disposable things are good for the beach. The south and partis of east side of the island seems more beachy, north west more dramatic scenery department.

<hr width=100% size=1>

REDVEE

Visit site
TO TMC - Thanks for putting the time and effort into your comments.
It looks as if it will be fun. I now realise that this is not the most appropriate forum for my issues. I was recommended to use it by the RYA. Perhaps they did not realise that the Gobbi was without sail !!! I followed their advice without looking at the description of the forum. I am relatively new to boating but have lots of experience with PC’s. If you have any questions on that department I think I would be able to return the favour.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gtmoore

Visit site
Agreed Peurto Pollensa is not great but Pollensa town just a few km inland is very pretty. Lots of galleries if you like that sort of thing.

Restaurant Stay in PP harbour very good

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin