Mallorca all weather anchorages

Virgincruiser

Visit site
Hi, I am chartering in Mallorca in August. Second time chartering and first time bareboat so quite nervous. I have 4 kids from 13 to 6. I am looking for the best "all weather" anchorages around mallorca. Haven't decided whether to go east or west from Palma yet as I'd prefer to be closer to decent cover if it gets stinky. I am quite happy to pay marina fees but worried if a storm comes in that we won't get a space as it might be full. I know it's not liveaboard but thought you guys would be best placed to answer. Also I'd love any advice on anchoring - particularly making sure I have enough swing room - I got the physics of it all but without knowing how much chain everyone around you had down it's impossible to tell right? Thanks in advance and any advise greatly appreciated.

RobbieW

Visit site
There are no 'all weather' anchorages around Mallorca. One of the best protected is Puerto Pollensa as if it comes in from the S or SW you nip across to the S side of the bay and stay there a day or two. However thats about as far as you can get from Palma ! In and around Palma bay there are several good anchorages, mostly on the W only 1 in the E but they are mostly exposed to the NE, Las Illetas is lovely but can get a nasty S swell into it, the bay off Palma Nova can be well protected but has quite poor holding - lots of weed. A little further round to the W is Santa Ponca which is very popular but prone to sudden thunderstorms in late Aug / early Sep. Basically keep watching the weather and move accordingly

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I'd second RobbieW's view. We left Santa Ponsa early in the morning last year because we'd seen a good lightning display the previous night and weather signs looked a bit odd. Tornadoes reported on VHF just as we were 3/4 of way to Ibiza. I heard that several boats dragged in Santa Ponsa that morning.

We spent a lot of time at Puerto Pollensa last year and it was pretty windy a few times. All the sandy patches near the marina have a mooring in the middle with lots of others around the edges. Holding didn't seem brilliant. We mostly anchored out near Punta de la Avancada. Holding was better but still dragged once in a ferocious gust, so did all the other boats around us. Bottom is a bit odd in that area, quite a few holes where depth drops suddenly. Sides are quite steep and holes are 1-2m deeper than the flat bits. Holding is good if you drop the anchor in a hole as it pretty much hits a wall when it drags to the edge. Good spot but you get a lot of waves by noon onwards, probably due to boats charging in and out of the marina. So swim early or late. A bit of a hike to town from that far out, approx. 1.2nm.

Virgincruiser

Visit site
There are no 'all weather' anchorages around Mallorca. One of the best protected is Puerto Pollensa as if it comes in from the S or SW you nip across to the S side of the bay and stay there a day or two. However thats about as far as you can get from Palma ! In and around Palma bay there are several good anchorages, mostly on the W only 1 in the E but they are mostly exposed to the NE, Las Illetas is lovely but can get a nasty S swell into it, the bay off Palma Nova can be well protected but has quite poor holding - lots of weed. A little further round to the W is Santa Ponca which is very popular but prone to sudden thunderstorms in late Aug / early Sep. Basically keep watching the weather and move accordingly

Virgincruiser

Visit site
Hi RobbieW, thanks for taking the time to write this. I think on this occassion I am just goign to book in in advance with all the marinas. I was supposed to be sailing with another boat but they have pulled out so if i want to sleep well (due to my limited anchoring experience) I am better off securely tethered!!

Virgincruiser

Visit site
Thanks Mistroma - I think we will stay around the south east corner - short hops are the order of the day with the kids in tow!! 2 hours stop, swim lunch, 2 hours - in for the night!! Thanks Again, VC

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info