Make the most of it

byron

RIP
Visit site
Popped into the Plough at Long Wittenham and had some slurp with Mel & Sandra. For those of you that don't know, the Plough is the last of a dieing breed, a great riverside pub where the Guvnor actively welcomes boaters and takes an interest in clubs and anything to do with the river.
This will be his last season. He is retiring and moving to Somerset. For my part I will miss him sorely.

theguvnor

Visit site
The Bounty at Cookham reach is both boat & dog friendly. You can only reach it by boat or a long treck over fields. (only weekend opening off season)

Chris_d

Visit site
I don't know the current landlord but he must have carried on the support from Ian the previous landlord, whom I knew very well. In my younger days we used to do a regular Saturday night run up to the Plough, returning after dark with a full boat all very merry /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Suppose that sort of behaviour might be frowned upon now.

Lets hope any new landlord keeps the moorings and boat friendly atmosphere.

byron

RIP
Visit site
The only time Mel would frown on a knees up is if he hasn't been invited to join in. he's an old shool Guvnor and really enjoys a good night.
The Bounty. I remember when Cap'n Hook owned it. Since he sold it to Dave & Sue they have had their ups & downs, at one stage the police tried to close it but settled on on early closing. Too many yobbos were using it. It was a good place to have a rowdy evening though. Hooky was a holy terror, if people complained about the noise he'd throw them out, he only wanted noisy nights.... as long as you paid for his drinks he didn't care what you did.

miket

Visit site
I went up there a couple of years ago and b****rd my Starboard prop (3ft draft). Not been up since.
Spoke to Mel afterwards and he was already in "conversation" with EA. EA claim no responsibility for maintaining depth off the navigation channel. So that's where all my licence money went!!
Instead of building bl**dy footbridges perhaps they could do a bit of dredging.

Thanks, Byron. I was having a good morning before you started me off!!

apollo

Visit site
Yep, my dad damaged his P Bracket on same "Lump" just down from the Plough.

I hear from Howard Slegg (now local yokel) that there is another lump concrete just by Clifton Lock stb side going up opposite mooring posts, which has damaged a few props in its time.

And as its in the main channel it should be marked - but is it??? You guess.

Brayman

Visit site
I was coming down from Clifton Hamden a couple of years ago and came across a green marker buoy at the end of the lock cut. I mentioned it to the lockkeeper at Days and he said it was the buoy from below the bridge that had been caught between two narrowboats breasted together and eventually deposited at the lock cut entrance.
They said they "couldn't see it against the tree background because it was green and perhaps they should have put a red one there" !!