Make the forum "non-anonymous"

Mctavish

Visit site
Does anyone like the idea of a non-anonymous forum? I don't know whether there would be any legal issues, but it might make the load on admin a lot easier. Maybe everyone on this forum likes anonymity!

tcm

Visit site
Does anyone like the idea of a non-anonymous forum? I don't know whether there would be any legal issues, but it might make the load on admin a lot easier. Maybe everyone on this forum likes anonymity!

It wd be a lot more constrictin . Everything you said was directly attributable and seen by EVERYONE, incl everyone you don't like, who doesn't like you, your clients, press and so on. And of course if not what you said then other issues - he's done a lot of posts eh?

So it's a non-starter on open forum.

GrahamM376

Visit site
What exactly do you mean? Anyone who posts on a public forum of any type would be mad to let real personal details be known easily - what are you suggesting?

I prefer real names. Our owners association insists on subscriber's names being used and it stops the anonymous abusive posts seen on many forums, although, in fairness, this forum is pretty tame. People tend to be more careful of what they say when they can be identified. Email addresses could be withheld to avoid spamming.

Lodesman77

Visit site
Then nothing - it's an internet forum. It doesn't matter. I have made personal contact with a number of forum members where appropriate via PM, usually resulting in meeting face to face, and most people are approximately what they appear to be. I am bemused by what you consider to be 'anonymous'. What details are you expecting to see, and why?

Mctavish

Visit site
All the stuff in the media recently - published studies on how forum members function differently when they are anonymous - they act worse. Some forums removed anonymity and (users had to re-register without anonymity) for this reason and there was an initial massive outcry...then it died down and the internet didn't die. I've never joined a non-anonymous forum so I'm not sure how it works but I don't think all those people are mad. Maybe this forum would be improved - it's just an idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if users weigh what they say more carefully before they type. I don't mean just being abusive. I mean not giving random, inaccurate advice.

Mctavish

Visit site
I'm talking about making the entire forum non-anonymous. I'd be happy to be non-anonymous because I think that would be really something.

tcm

Visit site
All the stuff in the media recently - published studies on how forum members function differently when they are anonymous - they act worse. Some forums removed anonymity and (users had to re-register without anonymity) for this reason and there was an initial massive outcry...then it died down and the internet didn't die. I've never joined a non-anonymous forum so I'm not sure how it works but I don't think all those people are mad. Maybe this forum would be improved - it's just an idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if users weigh what they say more carefully before they type. I don't mean just being abusive. I mean not giving random, inaccurate advice.

Maybe ... but if you cd find the name and contact details of quite few people on this forum, then they won't use it and the forum wd be a LOT less useful - some v expert types post here and mite easily back off a lot if they were to be held.noticed.viewed etc ... and the forum wd be left with just those who had less or nothing to lose by their id being known. I am guessing that by making this suggestion you are not a "known" person in the media, nor a high-flying multi-millionaire, nor anyone in the professions such as accounting, lawyer... and there are many such types who use and contribute to this forum... but anonymously and valuably.

Mctavish

Visit site
Maybe ... but if you cd find the name and contact details of quite few people on this forum, then they won't use it and the forum wd be a LOT less useful - some v expert types post here and mite easily back off a lot if they were to be held.noticed.viewed etc ... and the forum wd be left with just those who had less or nothing to lose by their id being known. I am guessing that by making this suggestion you are not a "known" person in the media, nor a high-flying multi-millionaire, nor anyone in the professions such as accounting, lawyer... and there are many such types who use and contribute to this forum... but anonymously and valuably.
Yes, I agree that's valuable, of the greatest value and it's why I use the internet. I'm sorry you don't think I'm likely to be a professional! They're happy to reveal that, at least, then - professionals.

Visit site
Well, I'm a professional (four uni quals), I don't post anonymously, and I don't consider myself mad.

some v expert types post here and mite easily back off a lot if they were to be held.noticed.viewed etc

Why? Would they want to deny they said anything? If so, whatever they said would have to be taken with a grain or two of salt, wouldn't it?

It's the reason newspapers always insist on a name and address being supplied (even if they don't print it) before they'll publish a Letter to the Editor.

Fair enough, I reckon. If you're not prepared to acknowledge and stand by your comments, why should other people be expected to pay them any attention?

Mike

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site

+1 I have met one or two very nice forum people who turned out to have rather surprising jobs.. no way would they publish their names, for good reasons, so their contributions would be lost.