Mainsheet position

Wansworth

Visit site
On my Vega the Mainsheet track is about 2 foot 6inches long.The previous owner went to a lot of trouble to show me that I should move it hither and thither depending on conditions.I feel abit guilty but would it be ok if I just left it centred as I am in cruising mode...... always.......yours

jac

Visit site
Your boat, your rules. Fine to leave it where you want but you won't be going as fast as you should.

General rules is that you want the whole sail driving efficiently which means controlling how much twist it has. (Same as moving the genoa cars back and forward)

In practice what that means is getting the right twist by pulling in/ easing the main sheet until top batten is parallel to the boom and tell tails are behaving similarly. Then ease the main down (or up) the traveller to trim the sail to the wind. That means that in light conditions you need different twist to heavy wind. You might have to pull the traveller the whole way to windward but slack the main sheet off to get it to just below the centreline to get the twist right.

Equally in gusts, you can ease the main down the traveller to keep the boat on her feet and then pull back after the gust.

Wansworth

Visit site
Thanks for that.......Chicheater harbour is so busy that I think I will leave the Mainsheet in the middle till I am out at sea, there doesn't seem to be enough time to adjust it ...Last time I was in an involuntary race I ran aground.

Birdseye

Visit site
On my Vega the Mainsheet track is about 2 foot 6inches long.The previous owner went to a lot of trouble to show me that I should move it hither and thither depending on conditions.I feel abit guilty but would it be ok if I just left it centred as I am in cruising mode...... always.......yours

the idea is that you use the mainsheet to give the sail the shape that you want and use the tracker to adjust the angle of attack. Once you get to the end of the track and have to let out the mainsheet you use the kicker to continue the correcte aerofoil shape to the sail.

Does it matter? Does it matter to you what sail shape you have? Maybe you have cr*p sail shape and motor sail? Up to you. IMO Sailing and not bothering to get the sail shape right is a bit like sailing with all the fenders still hanging over the side. Sloppy but personal choice

P.S. ON many boats, my own included, its easier to move the sail up the track than to attempt to reel in the mainsheet

lpdsn

Visit site
Thanks for that.......Chicheater harbour is so busy that I think I will leave the Mainsheet in the middle till I am out at sea, there doesn't seem to be enough time to adjust it.

OK, but getting the mainsail right coming out of a tack helps you get the boat back up to speed quickly, which helps even if you're just a cruiser short tacking in a confined harbour. You use the traveller/mainsheet to put in a bit more twist when sailing slowly after the tack (and you also bear off a few degrees from close hauled), then as you get closer to normal speed you work your way up to a close hauled course and trim the main to suit. Much faster than just coming around with the main unadjusted and making extra leeway until you eventually get going.