Mains fan heater

David2452

Visit site

sailorman

Visit site

VicS

Visit site
I came across this built in fan heater, the only downside I can see is that it's 2kW only.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/winterwarm-wwfh20-plinth-fan-heater-2000w/42217

Nice though. I might get one for the kitchen

Toolstation do a 3 heat (800, 1600, 2400 watt) model http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hea...ters+&+Dryers/sd3168/Plinth+Fan+Heater/p12933

For the boat you might find a suitable greenhouse heater. This is similar to mine, which is reasonably quiet, https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/5148/2kw-greenhouse-heater/

Last edited:

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I considered a plinth heater for use when we're aboard, but was able to mount a small wall-hung type and so save under berth locker space.

pvb

Visit site
You can mount an ordinary, cheap, fan heater in a plinth if you're reasonably handy and can cut a neat hole for it. I've had one in my kitchen for years.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
They are available in multiple KW settings and thermostats elsewhere, they are quite noisy though, more so than a free standing type, I have fitted a couple (at owners request) and they are not really as good as was expected, pleased I didn't suggest them.
Good feedback.
Mine are 'wall mounted' (2×800w in fore and aft cabins, one/two kW in saloon) but getting quite old now. These were the neatest ones that I have come across.

sealegsjim

Visit site
I have the tool station built into the saloon underseat locker and it is very successful and no noisier than a portable. It heats up the boat (32ft) in no time at all and it is thermostatically controlled. Definitely recommend it.

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
We use a cheapo one from Argos:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4152174.htm
I prefer to run it on low heat so that it circulates the air for longer and improves ventilation, we usually have the hatches open too.
There is a safety switch underneath so that if it gets knocked over it stops.
It may not be that exact one but it looks similar and cost about the same.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I've looked at ones similar to Argos link but they are free standing or irregular shapes that don't fit on a vertical surface.
Another facility that my old ones have is that they can be turned on with just the fan going, which is great in hot weather.

Halo

Visit site
Electric heaters are cheap to buy. I carry a small 2KW fan heater stowed in a cupboard for the summer. This comes out only if it is cold or wet and is also great for drying kit out whlist you are ashore - hang stuff up, sort some ventilation and leave it running on low. ( I would not do this without a circuit breaker in the line).
For November until March I have a 1 / 2 KW convector which runs siIently so I can leave it on overnight and keep me and SWMBO cosy all night even when the water freezes over. This is too bulky for summer when we ahve more folk aboard.
When leaving her over winter I have 2 x 120 W tube heaters mounted on boards which I position fore and aft. These are on plug in thermostats set to come on at 4 Celcius. These only switch on for short periods in most winters so do not cost a lot to run and this means I do not need to drain down the hot and cold water systems - which makes her much more useable in the winter.
I personally would not bother hard wiring a fan heater.