Mailspeed 235

TerrifiedTony

Visit site
I actually didn't expect to reach Nick2's obsession with dinghys quite so soon and I would normally have PM'd him if he wasn't mid transfer of "Cast Off" but it seems that my fantastic negotiating skills for the S34 missed the fact that I am now also the proud owner of a slatted bottomed Mailspeed 235 plus footpump and paddles but minus outboard.

a) Is it any good ? and b) safe ? Other than wiping down the offside of the S34 I doubt if I will use it next season so is it a good idea to sell it and think about a new one later ?

Thanks for any advice.
Tony

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>The 235 is what it is. A cheap but useable dinghy probably made in China, Taiwan or somewhere and badged up for Mailspeed.
It is OK for day to day use and in my opinion is good value. Quality? I don't know, probably along the lines of a Bombard but not the quality of an Avon.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
If it's anything like the Bombard it's OK I've had a Bombard (slatted floor) for nearly 10 years without problems. My one mod from new was to glue an extra piece of hypolon (or whatever it is?) to the bottom where it crunches when going onto a beach. If you do the same I think you will get good service.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Sell it if you aren't going to use it. Mine sold on a free ad through boatsandoutboards.com very quickly. When you do need one, suspect you will buy something better quality and lighter or bigger. Reason I sold my 270 Plastimo was that it was backbreakingly heavy I wanted a lightweight dinghy that I could lift easily around the boat and get on and off easily. Mine is a ragpot so more of an issue but suspect you might benefit from having something that hangs from your davits, if you have them, or stows away easily and compact.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Nick2

Visit site
A word from the self appointed but internationally recognised "Forum Dinghy Guru"...........

I think that you will find that the Mailspeed range is made by the Wetline people and so is a pretty decent boat of reasonable quality at least as good as Bombard but as Byron says not as good as Avon.

From my extensive trials and research (mainly under laboratory conditions) I would conclude thet the slatted floor type will not feel as solid or stable as an inflatable floor jobby or small rib. However I suggest that you try it for a while and see how you get on and you will always sell it on if you don't.

Hope that helps

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>Just can't understand why I'm not allowed to bring my new dinghy into the house.....