MAIB on Fletcher capsize death

www.motorboatsmonthly.co.uk

prv

Visit site
So many mistakes made, but the part about oversized lifejackets really hits home...

"So many mistakes"?

After the boat capsized it was just sheer bad luck that she got hung up on the cleat. 99 times out of a hundred she'd have popped to the surface with the others, the yacht and the jetskiers would have picked them up, and it would have had no real consequences beyond a dramatic family story and a swamped outboard. Poorly fitting lifejackets are a problem if you're trying to stay afloat, but I'm not convinced that it made much difference to the odds of her getting stuck on the cleat.

I'm not a speedboat driver and I didn't see the conditions that day, so I'm not in a position to judge whether it was a mistake to go out at all or whether the capsize was due to a culpable mistake in driving. But these guys seem to have been very experienced, so who am I to say it was a mistake without even seeing it?

The stuff about the prop seems like a red herring to me, and the RCD thing is kind of irrelevant as well unless we're going to scrap all old boats. She could still have got stuck on a modern boat, albeit might have been freed more easily if nearer the surface.

It was an accident. They happen, sadly.

Pete

prv

Visit site
Kids wearing ill fitting life jackets is an issue though. I've seen may kids wearing baggy lifejackets that would slip off them if they fell in. They should be a good fit and have a crotch strap.

Agreed. Just saying I don't think that had much bearing on this accident.

Pete

TheOrs

Visit site
So many mistakes made, but the part about oversized lifejackets really hits home...

I agree with prv.

I read this report & it was heart-breaking. I have a daughter the same age as the girl that died. I have a similar small Fletcher. One of my best friends has the same model Fletcher that is the exact same age. I changed my prop from aluminium to Hi-5 stainless (boat seemed to handle better with the Hi-5 btw). I used to go out in the rough & jump waves! (but not with kids onboard)

I don't think these guys were being irresponsible. The oversized buoyancy aid was a mistake. Same with the kill cord. However, I think it was just an accident and the end result would have always been the same sadly; irrespective of buoyancy aid, propellor etc.

I feel incredibly sorry for all those affected.

sailorman

Visit site
Pretty upsetting stuff, but important reading for anyone who drives an open boat:
http://www.mby.com/news/brixham-powerboat-death-lessons-maib-report-49001
If you've got the time, it's worth reading the full 12-page report on the MAIB website as well:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fletcher-speedboat-accident-investigation-report-published

the girl was wearing a "bouancy aid" NOT a lifejacket
[Emily was wearing an adult’s extra-large lifejacket (pictured right) with a chest size of 44-50 inches, and the MAIB reports that its bulkiness increased the likelihood of it snagging.]

Badly-fitted-lifejacket-164x200.jpg

More poor yachting jurno coverage

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
"So many mistakes"?

After the boat capsized it was just sheer bad luck that she got hung up on the cleat. 99 times out of a hundred she'd have popped to the surface with the others, the yacht and the jetskiers would have picked them up, and it would have had no real consequences beyond a dramatic family story and a swamped outboard. Poorly fitting lifejackets are a problem if you're trying to stay afloat, but I'm not convinced that it made much difference to the odds of her getting stuck on the cleat.

I'm not a speedboat driver and I didn't see the conditions that day, so I'm not in a position to judge whether it was a mistake to go out at all or whether the capsize was due to a culpable mistake in driving. But these guys seem to have been very experienced, so who am I to say it was a mistake without even seeing it?

The stuff about the prop seems like a red herring to me, and the RCD thing is kind of irrelevant as well unless we're going to scrap all old boats. She could still have got stuck on a modern boat, albeit might have been freed more easily if nearer the surface.

It was an accident. They happen, sadly.

Pete

Sadly all the holes in the cheese lined up and a tragedy occurred. Taking kids out on a small boat, in rough conditions (relative to size of the boat) and with ill fitting lifejackets was a bad idea.