Mahon local knowledge please

Renegade_Master

Visit site
Is that right that Mahon is one of the largest natural harbours in the northern hemisphere?

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

tcm

Visit site
Re: oh and...

our credit cards (several incl gold and black) wd not work at the fuel pontoon. You need cash. Also, they charge for water. The yacht club looks quite decent place for nosh

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedDreamer

Visit site

Clive

Yacht club not bad but Roma next door and Il Porto around the corner better and better value. La Minerva is good for fish as well - its on a pontoon up towards the ferry port.

Have a great and safe trip. Let us all know how it goes

<hr width=100% size=1>Martyn

Renegade_Master

Visit site

Seems odd that the fuel pontoon dont take plastic given that most other fuel places in Spain take it

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.suncoastmarine.co.uk>Sun Coast Sea School & Charter</A>

tcm

Visit site
Re: la minerva

think we we went there - but there's a strange snatching motion on some tables near the quayside.

The fuel does claim to take plastic -but all i can say is that our brit stuff didn't work.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MedDreamer

Visit site
Re: la minerva

They also have the building across the road that as far as I know doesn't move (well not until a few bottles later)

<hr width=100% size=1>Martyn

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I'll add Mahon to my list of 'the largest natural harbour in the Europe' there seem to be so many of them according to local folk lore in the Med.
I've just had a Google search and Poole seems to be the favourite
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

TomIsitt

N/A
Visit site
Re: Deep Water

I think Mahon claims to be the second-biggest "deep-water" harbour in the world. Or something. Anyway, it's pretty big and pretty deep.

The fuel pontoon does take UK plastic (at least it did when I was there last August)...it's just that TCM's credit is a bit dodgy (or was it because we were putting 10,000 litres of fuel into his Leopard and the pump-jockey thought it'd be a laugh to make him pay in cash?).

Minerva pretty good despite strange rocking motion of pontoon), Roma cheap and cheerful (the rabbit with garlic mayo is great) but a fun place and there's a great bakery next door where the ensaimadas are fantastic.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Geoffs

Visit site
It is generally recognised that Poole is the second largest natural harbour in the world. Sydney being the largest.

So I guess that makes Poole the largest in Europe/ N. Hemisphere. Not sure where that leaves Mahon.

<hr width=100% size=1>Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'