magic potions for prop pretection .

dunkelly

Visit site
just wondered if anyone had any special potions to apply to props to protect them , i have heard of egg whites - someone i know epoxied theirs , any new suggestions ?

BelleSerene

Visit site
Udder cream has been suggested. It doesn't work.

Ohhhhh yes it does!... Let me keep you abreast (oh, sorry)...

Udder Ointment (consult Amazon; you’ll only need 500g for a few years) is not just lanolin; it also contains the two active antimicrobial ingredients of Savlon. It ain’t perfect, to be sure, and it wears off with enough sea miles. (I suppose if you fire-hosed a cow’s breasts hard enough, it’d wear off there too.) Antifoul paint doesn’t so much, but then its roughness interferes more with the water flow across your propellor. I hear that a solution to that problem is to heat the Udder Ointment before applying it (I don’t understand why but I ain’t no chemist). Another solution I suppose is to unfloat the boat a couple of times a year when you pass a harbour wall, and apply some more by hand (or latex glove, I suggest: it lingers).

Well I don’t feel a tit (sorry) at all for using it, anyway.

Neeves

Visit site
It maybe that you need to heat the prop, not the udder cream. Vyv will be along tomorrow, it being late, and comment - but if you heat the prop, I don't know by how much, it allows the micro-porosity to expand and on cooling it sucks the cream into the surface - or that is the theory (or some variation of). I had not heard the technique being suggested for udder creme - but simply for greasing the surface, making it non-slip. Was not a variation used with cast iron where they boiled component, some quite big, in whale oil (instead of galvanising). I would have thought it would cook udder cream. We tried lanolin, we have a lot here - it appeared to encourage growth and it was not that it wore off through being on the prop a we wiped it onto leading edges, and encouraged growth there as well.

Velox is the best of a bad bunch.

Jonathan

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
There is no doubt that the barnacle is public enemy no 1 for our propellers.

They do seem to colonise and breed well. I wonder if it has anything to do with their er.. equipment ?

They have the longest todger relative to their size of any creature. Up to seven times longer than their body.
They also stand on their heads and eat with their feet. Cocky buggers eh !

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I don't go along with the micro-porosity theory. I have sectioned and microscopicall examined hundreds of samples and very rarely found porosity. Surface roughness on a micro scale is more likely but maybe it's just like fat on a frying pan - it spreads and adheres far better when the pan is hot.

vas

Visit site
+1 for Velox,

but 80grit on the prop first
put primer and a/f in spray cans and apply VERY THIN coats (3-4 of each!) from approx 20cm on a nice day with no wind...
worked fine, didn't flake and kept props clean
apparently it flakes off as adhesion is an issue when using a brush or roller as layer of paint is too thick, or so I was told.

V.

ip485

Visit site
The bag works by excluding light and the critters. It works really well, especially if used most of the time the boat is stationery. Of course the down side is its best avoided in colder climes, albeit a jooly good idea if the boat is layed up in a marina or somewhere in the water for the winter and the engine not used, or at least the prop. not turned of course.

I have found Velox by far and away the very best of everything else I have tried.