Mad SWMBO?

pyrojames

transat2013.blogspot.co.uk
She announced the other evening, after having spent a few days reading a "How to sail" book, that the thing she really wanted to do the weekend after next, was to go to Ostend or Dunkerque! I did point out that it would be cold, possibly wet and probably windy, but she is still keen. UP to now she has been a reluctant sailor, but now she seems very geared up for it.

As long as the forecast isn't for gales, we shall probably go, Friday through Monday. I think the boat is just about ready. It might be rather challenging, a good fast blast in Souwesterlies!

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
...up to now she has been a reluctant sailor...

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not dissuade her from going cross channel/overnight on a specific date and save it up for a suitable weather slot (preferably next summer) You run the risk of putting her off for life with a cold, wet, and potentially scarey, run across in November. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

pyrojames

She wants to do some night sailing and this one should only involve some early evening sailing for the final approach. She is now making noises about doing a dazed kipper, and wants some more miles. She isn't afraid of a bit of adventure. She's been diving for years, (thrown out of bunk on a liveaboard dive boat in bad weather), and she's not called SWMBO for nothing!

AliM

Visit site
Go through the weather forecast carefully with her - as preparation for her Day Skipper as well, and involve her fully in the passage planning. Then you will be able to make a joint decision on whether to go or not. Make sure she realises that opting out of that trip is OK, and not a loss of face. Make sure you plan for the return too of course!

You could suggest that she's skipper for the trip, with you on hand to make sure all's well, and taking over if there's something she's not happy with.

Play it right, and you've got the beginning of a perfect sailing partnership!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
Just go - it'll be fun.
And if it isn't, chalk it up to experience.

A word of warning about Ostend - if the wind's rather sporting from the NW, go for a berth in the Mercator or the RYCO. RNSYC berths rather exposed. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Rather you than me!

A quick blast over in South Westerlies is a gruelling beat back.

I hope you weren't thinking of taking the children too?

Talk her out of Ostend and into going somewhere closer to home with a pub with roaring log fire at the other end. Can you get into Bradwell with your stupendous draft? The Green Man does roaring log I think.

Tell her there is nothing to see or do on a N Sea crossing and much more to see and practice on a coastal hop. She can do lots of dazed kipper pilotage stuff on a coastal passage, but very little in the middle of the N Sea.

Good luck!

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I find the problem with Winter sailing is that you either get Atlantic Lows or short (bloody cold) highs where there is no wind at all. So I would suspect that you will either romp across, or motor across. Either way, I do hope the heating is working!

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

A quick blast over in South Westerlies is a gruelling beat back.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
When sailing to/from Ostend I pray for SW - didn't get them this year though /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

reginaldon

Visit site
My swmbo is prepared to come down to the boat - only when equipped with a drill!
Bless her! I should have called her 'The Other Woman' as it is I have called her 'Little Madam' - her mother's name for her!

pyrojames

Quite important though, no?

Also useful to settle into sailing, and understand the boat behaviour rather than the continual nav issues.

Off course, it all depends on it being sensisble weather, with a reasonable chance of ettingback when we want to, as well.

FullCircle

Visit site
James,
I have the KISS book of sailing, which Lynn bought and devoured - brilliant reading. If you PM me your address, I will send it out on extended loan, 1st Class post.

I feel no effort should be spared in fulfilling her wishes.

Dont worry about qauality miles, when youve not got any (many) then they are all a bloody wondrous thing.

So, saddle up the horse and get on with it straight away.

Jomo

Visit site
James, I'm with Will & Jim.
Mrs Jomo is a complete novice, and has no real desire (at the momoent) to do any courses, but she loves coming sailing even on the more 'interesting' (weatherwise) trips.
Obviously, you'll check the feasabilty, & if the weather is too poor you wont go, but if its doable, and she wants to give it a go, should be done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
Go on, James, give it a go.

The sailing that got my SWMBO addicted wasn't the sitting on the stern swilling Chardonay in the Med sunshine stuff, it was a beat into Campbeltown in a very stiff force 6 and lumpy seas hanging onto the safety harness because her feet wouldn't reach the opposite seat one early May. Then surfing a 36footer into Ardrossen in the freezing cold with a bust engine.

Okay, she's not a normal lady, but then neither is yours (in the nicest possible way)

So go for it!

pyrojames

Have you seen the forecast?
"Humber Thames:
Northwest 6 to gale 8, occasionally severe gale 9 in Humber, perhaps severe gale 9 later in Thames. Rough or very rough. Showers. moderate or good." And that is before it gets worse! We've abandoned this weekend, and are targetting the first week in Dec now. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif