Lundy's Not An Island

Cornishman

Visit site
Lundy\'s Not An Island

According to new EU Regulations Lundy, along with many other offshore islands around our coast with less than 50 inhabitants, is no longer regarded as an island.

What is it then? One suggestion is that it should now be called a 'hazard to shipping'

Rowana

Two steps lower than the ships' cat
Visit site
Re: Lundy\'s Not An Island

Pretty hard if you bump into one, so I suppose it could constitute a hazard !

Jim

Metabarca

Visit site

You'd better watch out: they'll be telling you it's the wrong shape next, and getting in the bulldozers to make it conform to EU regulations... ;-)

Aja

Visit site

Apparently neither is Skye, Rum or Bute!

Skye - now has fixed link to mainland
Rum - Less than 50 inhabitants
Bute - greater than 1km from mainland.

Donald

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Donald_Beaton on 23/01/2003 12:55 (server time).</FONT></P>

Jeremy_W

Visit site
Shurely shome mishtake

>>Bute - greater than 1km from mainland.

>>Donald

I think you mean that Bute doesn't qualify for an EU "island community grant" because it's LESS than 1km from the mainland as anyone who has sailed through the Kyles of Bute can testify.

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site

No wonder I always go aground when trying to sail between Lundy and the Mainland, this explains a lot, I thought I was reading the chart wrong!

<font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

Caronia

Visit site

Dear Cornishman .. after extensive research I think I can answer your question. Unfortunately someone has been pulling your leg, the EU has what is known as "Island Community Grants" these are grants aimed at assisting remote island communities, obviously the EU (and ourselves) does not want islands such as say Eel Pie Island or Leeds Castle with their priviliged communities to have access to these funds and so they have defined which islands qualify for these grants. Nowhere in any published document can I find any reference to the EU attempting to say that Lundy (or indeed any island) is not and island.

jimi

Visit site

When I was on Levkada in Greece I was told that they had a floating bridge to span the 10m gap between mainland and Levkada which was classified as a ferry so that Levkada could get the grants relating to an island. Presumably this is the sort of abuse they are trying to prevent.

jimi

Visit site
United Kingdom

Are we not a case for special measures? Overtaxed, effin awful weather, frogs as neighbours?

Cornishman

Visit site

According to today's Western Morning News the story originated in a Scottish newspaper when an editorial writer "got hot under his kilt" about a visit to Skye by some "gnomes of Brussels" who visited the Isle of Bute.

For the truth visit www.cec.org.uk/press , click on What's New and read about the Isle of Skye

Got us all going, though, didn't it?