Ludd. Tom Mair. Boat - El Vento

Sandyman

Visit site
For those on the Guardiana some sad but not unexpected news. Tom Muir passed away yesterday afternoon at 16:05

Sandyman

Visit site
I will be in the Uk for another friends funeral in Jan & thought I would make the time & attend Toms funeral but his daughter
has informed us that there will be no service no flowers no memorial no nothing exactly as Tom wanted it. This I can understand
because like me Tom was strongly anti religion. Will scupper a dram or two of the Jura Superstiton he left me on New Years eve in his memory.
Anyone read this can they get the message to Jacks.

Old Harry

Visit site
I will be in the Uk for another friends funeral in Jan & thought I would make the time & attend Toms funeral but his daughter
has informed us that there will be no service no flowers no memorial no nothing exactly as Tom wanted it. This I can understand
because like me Tom was strongly anti religion. Will scupper a dram or two of the Jura Superstiton he left me on New Years eve in his memory.
Anyone read this can they get the message to Jacks.
We will do like wise

maby

Visit site
No. Tom could out-talk any preacher, had been a long distance lorry driver and then solo liveaboard for years before his health deteriorated. Nice guy, liked his tipple and never heard him bad mouth anyone.
The Rev. Ludd I'm referring to had many of those attributes - was a contributor here and a fairly iconoclastic character. I used to communicate with him from time to time, but then he disappeared with little ceremony...

Heckler

Visit site
For those on the Guardiana some sad but not unexpected news. Tom Muir passed away yesterday afternoon at 16:05
Cheers Sandy, not unexpected. He was a good man, we had many a long chat. His and my political views were on opposite ends of the spectrum but we were good friends. He flew out with the bride a little while back. He didnt stop talking she said! He will be missed.

Old Harry

Visit site
Cheers Sandy, not unexpected. He was a good man, we had many a long chat. His and my political views were on opposite ends of the spectrum but we were good friends. He flew out with the bride a little while back. He didnt stop talking she said! He will be missed.
Was the bride Dutch

Heckler

Visit site
He told me after his last trip down to Bruces that he woke up in hospital with the family around him! He said that they had that look on their faces! He
Was the bride Dutch
My bride! He had a Dutch lady that went to the Canaries with him? Or was she the one up the Guadiana I talked to him with?

RAI

Visit site
Ludd - Tom Mair, of El Viento, has indeed passed away. Sad for all who knew him. His family are thinking of bringing half his ashes to Portugal. More details hopefully after tomorrow. No wake but Tom leaves a wake, so the family will be naming charities probably RNLI and another tomorrow.

Last edited:

WindyOut

Visit site
Very, very sorry to read of Tom's passing. I used to read his e-mail missives with great interest, in fact I've never deleted one. His punctuation was awesome, his spelling breathtaking, but he wrote with passion and loved his life. I hope his final weeks were true-to-form and that El Viento ends up with a caring owner. Fair winds, Tom.

Heckler

Visit site
Very, very sorry to read of Tom's passing. I used to read his e-mail missives with great interest, in fact I've never deleted one. His punctuation was awesome, his spelling breathtaking, but he wrote with passion and loved his life. I hope his final weeks were true-to-form and that El Viento ends up with a caring owner. Fair winds, Tom.
I believe he did a deal with Bruce ref the boat and some one else has now taken over the mantle of rebuilding it. It is an older HR.

GHA

Visit site
Tom didn't want any big bashes after he departed, so there's a bit of a 'non-bash' next wednesday 22nd in the riverside, Alcoutim at 2pm. To raise a glass and play some music in memory of the old codger. ???

I'll likely be driving up from Faro if anyone wants a lift.