LRC (SSB) courses

G

As we're off in August for an Atlantic circuit I need to fit and learn how to master one of these.

All suggestions on courses + exam in the UK welcomed.

Sod working for a year!

G

I did mine in Dec 2001 at RT Training run by John Finch based near Southampton tel o2392462122 his web site with info and prices is www.marineradio.co.uk

I found him very good and recommend him. It helps to read the course book in advance. Good luck

snowleopard

Visit site
i took the course at universal marina. it was necessary to do the full 4 days to get the certificate/licence but the relevant bit could have been done in a day. we had to demonstrate use of vhf, dsc, navtex and inmarsat c as well as the ssb and spent several hours repeating a pointless procedure exercise for the exam.

having said that, i came away knowing the basics of ssb operation and it wasn't too expensive. the equipment used is an icom 710 so if you don't have one of those you might want to look elsewhere.

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
Agree. Finch is pretty good. Did mine with him years ago.

Make sure you do the satellite add on - even if you dont have the kit

A pontification from the Panjandrum of orotund bloviation AD2002

petery

Visit site
Did mine in December 2002 with John Finch. It's a full 4 days ending with a written exam and oral with an external examiner. You get an MCA certificate. Highly recommended,

World of difference to the typical VHF course run by 'RYA approved schools' where if you are breathing and awake at the end of the course - you pass.