Lowrance ..can I fit transducer in bilges of Pegasus

TomW

Visit site
I have a Pegasus 28 and want to fit a chart plotter with echo sounder. Have looked at the Lowrance Elite 5 and am told that one can't fit a transducer in the bilges. Was told that it might not get a signal if hull is too thick. I just want a simple one to fit or stick down into bilges without having to bore a hole through bottom. Any ideas??

sailorman

Visit site
I have a Pegasus 28 and want to fit a chart plotter with echo sounder. Have looked at the Lowrance Elite 5 and am told that one can't fit a transducer in the bilges. Was told that it might not get a signal if hull is too thick. I just want a simple one to fit or stick down into bilges without having to bore a hole through bottom. Any ideas??

put the transducer head in a bag of water then move about to find a good spot

mawm

Visit site
Through hull transducers aren't as good in my experience.

The cost of a chart plotter with depth guage and log is quite expensive (NZ$ 2500). With GPS you don't need a log for speed through water (unless you race). Have you thought about an iPad (NZ$ 800) and just a simple depth guage? Plenty MOBO's mount them from the transom so no holes.

OTOH the forward looking sonars sound interesting.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I have a Lowrance/Eagle plotter that also does depth.I tried it by sticking sounder module with a bit of blue tac to the bilge floor and it worked fine.I don't use the depth facility as I have echo sounder.

nairda96

Visit site
I have always bonded a piece of wavin sewer pipe about 8 inches long on to the hull with P40
filler or GRP and resin, then fix the transducer to the inside of the pipe and fill the pipe up with cooking oil and make a lid for it, always works with the Garmin fish finders which come with a transome mounted tranducer, My dads boat has the same with a much higher spec sounder, On another note, the Nasa sounder that came with my boat had its transducer just siliconed to the bilge and that worked fine, althought the garmin one didn't work like this,