Lord Of The Isles, Craobh Haven

PeteP

Visit site
I can't believe this place isn't already listed - perhaps it's the relatively out of the way location. Anyway, if you find yourself in the area and needing a pint, a gin, or a dram, then this place is worth the trip. If you are looking for somewhere to eat, don't look any further.

My first experience was popping in to use their wifi (the local mobile signal is all you'd expect) and they were friendly & helpful to a complete stranger - plus the beer was pretty decent.

My second experience was a few drinks with the crew after a course and we were all treated like friends by the staff - even before they know we were with one of their regulars. We ate there that night and all agreed the food was far better than we'd expected for such a tucked away place.

Put it this way; if they offered rooms (and I wasn't primarily going to be there for sailing) I would consider it a reasonable place to use as a holiday base. Come to think of it, perhaps my wife would like to spend some time there while I go out sailing...

A general tip for you all would be to use Tripadvisor to check places out. I've never been steered wrong by the consensus of reviews on there.

DaveS

Visit site
The LOTI actually does have a couple of rooms. I was offered one last winter when the wind was strong enough to make accessing the pontoons hazardous. There is also self catering accommodation in the village.

The LOTI also now run the Mishnish in Tobermory, so I would expect (though can't yet personally confirm) that it should be much improved. There was need of improvement. From my log July 2003:
"We found a spot to anchor, close to but not in the fairway, then dinghied ashore to the beach beside the pier, convenient for the Mishnish where we tried to get dinner. Adrian is vegetarian and the Mishnish could unfortunately offer nothing suitable. "How about an omelette, then?" "I'll have to check ... I don't think chef does omelettes ... no, sorry." Nor was there any decent beer for sale. "There's not much demand..." After pointing out that there were actually very few customers, and that some of these facts might possibly be related, we left sadly, remembering many previous good nights in the Mishnish's better days. The new pub beside the dinghy park on the other hand had plenty of good food and drink on offer so it got our custom instead - it was pretty busy, so clearly ours was not an isolated view. Back at the dinghy we evicted the wee Weegies who had been using it as a convenient seat while eating their chips, then paddled back. "