Loose footed sails

Joe_Cole

Visit site
I'm getting a new set of sails for my boat and it's been suggested that I should have a loose footed mainsail.

Does anyone have any experience of these? Whats the pros and cons?

I'm not interested in ultimate performance and I do a fair amount of singlehanded cruising.

Regards

Joe Cole

Johnjo

Visit site
Bought loose footed mainsail last year from Sobstad.
Had my doubts at first, But now very pleased,
Good points are better control of sail at foot,ease backhaul gives nice
belly to sail in light winds,Opposite applies when wind increases,
One down side is, sail is harder to stow, But this is not a hardship,
Personly, Iwould buy another one,
Hope this helps.

Mike

yoda

Visit site
Delighted with my new loose footed main by Osen of Plymouth. Great to be able to get good shape so easily. Make sure your boom is upto the point load at the clew.

Yoda

Joe_Cole

Visit site
Well, that answers it then! Loose footed it will be.

Incidently I have a "Packaway" sytem with lazyjacks, so I hope that that will resolve the stowing problem.

Thanks for the feedback

Joe

gonesailing

Visit site
Also loose foot mains are great for fast safe spinniker drops in heavy winds. Simply bring the sheet (or lazy guy) through the slot between mail and boom; power in spinniker is simply funnelled out with no risk of the sail getting out of control (hopefully)

stretch33

Visit site
If your packaway system was used with your old sail was it held in place by a tape under the boltrope of the sail ? You will need a boltrope put on your stackpack other wise it'll slop everywhere.
Phil

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
We have just ordered a new main and gone for the loose foot option. I have sailed with both, I just can not see any real advantages in having it in the boom. Like you I don't want racing performance and often sail short handed, but I do want to make the best of the the boat, when more cruisers realise that you can adjust the out haul and it has some effect I think we will see most sails loose footed.

The reply about the sail bag is right you will need to sew a bolt rope into that if you keep it on the boom. Not allowed in racing but it help the end plate effect to keep the bag there.

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
On my Moody 42....

...ketch I have loose footed and fully battened sails on both mizzen and main since 2 seasons. I´m very satisfied with them.
The only problem is to find a good out outhaul arrangement on the old booms.

kdf

Visit site
As most people here suggested go for the loose foot. Remember also to have some way of keeping the clew close to the boom - either use a sail tie (velcro versions are the best) around the boom and through the clew eye, or get a sliding car that sits in the boom track and then attach the clew to this.