looking for nightjar or possibly nightstar

patsydoggy

Visit site
I would like to make contact with the owners of the yacht nightjar to thank them properly for standing by in poor conditions while we dealt with a difficult incident having run aground on the sw sunk sand on wednesday 21st of October this year. If anyone knows where they are based I would be very grateful.
Many thanks. James.

patsydoggy

Visit site
we were using a cmap chart which was purchased in March this year in our raymarine chartplotter . This was backed up with a paper chart also purchased in March. We ran aground at position 51.37.4;1.16.8E just after LW Neaps, a point at which both charts showed sufficient water for our 1.4m draft. Nightjar passed approx 200m north of us reporting around 7m and very kindly stood by and gave us waypoints for a safe route once we were afloat. The Navionics chart which we now have clearly shows the real position of the SW Sunk unlike our own charts. There is a very significant difference between the two and we would be interested to know when the safe channel shifted.

Tiller Girl

Visit site
Pastydoggy

Useful information thank you.

The correct swatchway has in fact been put right by me in June, 2014 as a result of my own survey. The swatchway 51.37.4N 1.16.8 E closed at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014 and in June 2014 I was able to find the new swatchway further towards the north-east. I supplied the survey to the UKHO following 2014 but they did not accept the data but asked the Port of London Authority to conduct a survey. This they conducted in February, 2015 and gave the survey to both the UKHO and kindly to me. I found the PLA survey 100% correlation to my survey. The UKHO then changed the chart 1975 Thames Estuary - Northern Part in April, 2015 to show the SW Sunk swatchway correctly. The chart 1975 is the premium chart for any further changes. But my chartlet is slightly more detailed.

So you cmap chart would not be accurate! March would not be changed in time for the UKHO premium chart until April. Nightjar was getting the swatchway exactly right!

My chartlet can be seen http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/page29.html (second chartlet). I am hoping to check again next Spring.

tidclacy

Visit site
Hi it was me on NIGHTSONG a Southerly 46. I was crewing with my friend the owner from Eastbourne to Fambridge and spoke to you on the VHF. Glad to hear you got home safely. What did you think of the coastguards procedures?