looking for an inexpensive surveyor in Oslo .

TSailors

Visit site
hi. trying to buy a 35-40 foot boat in Norway . I I'm looking for an inexpensive surveyor to help me decide amongst the various 40-year old boats I've been checking out. if anyone have any recommendations I would appreciate it.
thanks .

TSailors

Visit site
Actually, after Turkey, the prices in Norway don't feel too bad :)
Yes, boating is a very cultural thing here, marinas in every town, thousands of boats everywhere.. I'm in heaven!

Neeves

Visit site
Try Google with:

'Yacht surveyors Norway'

you will find some sources.

You will need someone local to the yachts in which you are interested (which will cut down the options) - Norway travel times (and costs) must be horrendous. A cheap surveyor in Bergen will be expensive in Oslo and a fortune in Aldalsnes.

srm

Visit site
Why a "cheap surveyor"? Surely a competent or better still a good surveyor would be far more use. Just about anyone can call themselves a boat surveyor.

I make this point because the last surveyor I used, who had what should have been appropriate British trade memberships on his letterheads, (he was based in Portugal) simply filled in a proforma for his report and got most of it totally wrong. For instance my halyards are cleated on the mast, but he saw strong turning blocks and clutches for the halyards in the cockpit. Likewise he saw that my deck and hull mouldings were securely bolted together through the alloy toe rail - they are not, he took a photo of the somewhat none standard hull deck joint. The fridge cooling plate was an anode in good condition - I explained what it was at the time and he photographed it . . etc . .etc.

I have also employed some very good surveyors who had extensive experience and were both very knowledgable and helpful. Before employing someone find out just what their real world experience is (as opposed to doing a bit of sailing and an on line course).

Tranona

Visit site
hi. trying to buy a 35-40 foot boat in Norway . I I'm looking for an inexpensive surveyor to help me decide amongst the various 40-year old boats I've been checking out. if anyone have any recommendations I would appreciate it.
thanks .
You normally only employ a surveyor when you have decided to buy the boat, placed a deposit and signed a contract. His job is to determine that the boat is as described and does not have any faults that are not declared. "Helping to decide amongst the various 40 year old boats you have been checking out" is a very different task and while a surveyor may take on that role it is will definitely not be cheap as you will have to pay for his time.

Realistically one should not take on (cheap) 40 year old boats to use in the way you intend without having a pretty good idea yourself about what sort of boat you want and know enough about boats to be able to sort out the "frogs" from the "princes" - and probably most you see will be "frogs".

You don't say what experience you have, but do not underestimate the level of commitment in both time/skills and money to complete such a project. Of course many do and often from a lowly starting point, but for every one that succeeds there is a long tail of abandoned projects where the dream comes up against reality.