looking for 2nd hand (working) side mounted single lever throttle control

DerekM

anyone have any suggestions as to sources of second hand single lever gear/throttle control? Connects to a Yanmar 1gm 10. Something inside my existing unit has disintegrated and I can get full throttle in forward gear, but barely tick-over speed in reverse - discovered the problem approaching the pontoon with a stiff following breeze and would have had a bad bump but for pontoon neighbours catching the pulpit! I'm sailing an Arden 4 and 4 tonnes at a fair lick would have done both boat and pontoon some damage! I'd prefer not to shell out for a new one at this point in time, so any suggestions welcome!

ripvan1

ASAP supplies have 2 different single lever control levers 1 at 32 quid another at 40 quid (ex vat)

Tranona

anyone have any suggestions as to sources of second hand single lever gear/throttle control? Connects to a Yanmar 1gm 10. Something inside my existing unit has disintegrated and I can get full throttle in forward gear, but barely tick-over speed in reverse - discovered the problem approaching the pontoon with a stiff following breeze and would have had a bad bump but for pontoon neighbours catching the pulpit! I'm sailing an Arden 4 and 4 tonnes at a fair lick would have done both boat and pontoon some damage! I'd prefer not to shell out for a new one at this point in time, so any suggestions welcome!

Before looking at changing it, why not take it out and clean it, as well as checking the cables.

Tranona

ASAP supplies have 2 different single lever control levers 1 at 32 quid another at 40 quid (ex vat)

Those are just single function such as throttle only. Single lever dual function, which is what the OP needs are more than 3 times the price.

nemodreams

I've had mine apart in the past - they are a bit mysterious how they operate - but I sort of sussed it at the time. It may well be just circlip or a pin gone.
They are expensive now - gulp - must look after the old thing ( Teleflex I think ) !

Geoff

ex-Gladys

My experience with single lever controls... check the retaining clamp for the outer cables. The gear change one on mine came loose resulting in no astern when berthing in Ramsgate last year, but having had experience of a worn cable for a while, and engagement of astern being dependent on the toss of a coin, I also berth slowly, just in case.... Makes me cringe to see some boats aiming into a pontoon finger at 4-5 knots relying on the ability to go hard astern....

Hydrozoan

Make sure there's nothing behind to impede movement - I failed to engage reverse once when a deck brush handle got caught up behind!

Those are just single function such as throttle only. Single lever dual function, which is what the OP needs are more than 3 times the price.

Yes, a black lever alone for the single lever dual function model costs about £50 plus p&p, so I've just abraded and painted my pitted chrome one and made an iroko handle as the rubber one was splitting - the economics of time-rich retirement, and the wooden one looks nice. The red buttons are 10 for ca £10 plus p&p - would see me out I guess! :)

adwuk

I've just replaced an old Morse side control. It was slipping, and has no friction control. Other than that it works fine. The chrome is badly crazed, but I suppose it is about 40 years old. PM if interested.

DerekM

took it apart and there is a plastic plate in the inner mechanism which has broken up. So far as I can ascertain from Vetus its not possible to replace the part in question. I can apparently buy a complete inner working minus the exterior plate and lever for a mere £148 - when all I need is a few pence worth of plastic!