London/Thames Winter Mooring

Jean

Visit site
I spotted a request for information from another web site and looking for some advice regarding the following (from Andrew across the pond):
I'm planning on a trans atlantic by sail. (39' ketch), I'm still getting my boat ready and have been. I was planning on this year and spending the winter anchored on the Thames or in a Marina near London (I was thinking of that marina just down river from the Tower, but it doesn't permit liveaboards and is rather expensive.) do you know of any marinas near london which would permit liveaboards for the winter and would not be too expensive? What about anchorages. Could I anchor in the Thames near the tower or tie up to a sea wall? Any info you would be able to provide would be helpful. Even If I have to be a few miles down river from the tower, as long as it were within commuting distance and not too expensive for a "winter over".
thank you again..
Any Advice appreciated so that I can forward on to Andrew.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
You are right - the one down from the Tower (St Katharines Dock) does not permit live-aboards. Generally you are not permitted to anchor anywhere in the upper reaches of the Thames - which includes the bit by London.

There are many more options further down the River towards, say, Chatham which has a good commuter service to central London.

<hr width=100% size=1>

squidge

Visit site
Hang on what about Lime house basin ? just down the river and ive seen live aboards in there.I dont know of another place with good London travel further down./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Most of the marinas below London Bridge tolerate liveaboards in seaworthy yachts even if technically they don't 'permit' them. (St Katherine's is the most discouraging). It is useless to ask permission though.

Given its London, prices are very reasonable apart from St Katherine's. Limehouse Basin has been fully booked in winter.

It is not possible to lie to anchor, lay a mooring, or lie alongside anywhere in the Thames from Gravesend upstream. There are a few yacht clubs with moorings: the closest-in are at Bugsby's Reach (?Greenwich Yacht Club), plenty of vacancies in winter but it looks very inhospitable for liveaboarding. There are also moorings at Erith and at Thurrock/Greys, similar.

jeanette

Visit site
Try South Dock Marina.
They also don't allow liveaboards 'officially' so don't ask for permission, but I know plenty of people who are living in there.

<hr width=100% size=1>Jeanette

Neil_M

home.btconnect.com
Although most of the marinas stipulate 'no liveaboards' I know people who have done just this, including at St Katherines (if you have a 'interesting' boat which is good tourist value) though I don't recommend it. The following site has useful information re the British Waterways run moorings - Poplar Dock (Canary Wharf) may be worth a try?
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/metrocuts/moorings.htm>http://www.mike-stevens.co.uk/metrocuts/moorings.htm</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Blackwall Marina to the east of Limehouse have loads of liveaboards and is just a few minutes from a DLR station. It also has parking.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>