Local knowledge: Moray firth

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
A request for some local knowledge on the Southern shore of the Moray Firth please. I am planning to take the boat, (Rival 32, draft about 1.3m) to Denmark this summer. My route is from the Clyde, to Corpach and thence Caledonian Canal to Inverness. From there, we'll either go round the top of Denmark or through Denmark via Thyboron.

Given that I may wish to stop on this side of the North Sea for a top-up of fuel and water (and a beer!) before settling down to the guts of the trip, where do locals recommend. Other factors are that:

a. I will have taken on a passage crew, and want a reasonable sail from Inverness to ensure that we are all in-tune (been there before!) before setting off.

b. My research suggests that Fraserburgh would not be suitable (as not yacht friendly).

Options from the internet: http://ports.org.uk/area.asp?area=56 and a cursory glance at Reeds' suggest either Lossimouth or Banff. But it's an area in which I have never sailed, and I am sure the locals would have a view?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Whitehills would be ideal. Very friendly place, great facilities, and a good distance (60nm) from Inverness. It is about 3nm from Banff.

Inverness%20Whitehills.jpg

- W

alisdair4

midnightdrifter.net
Whitehills

Thank you for the quick reply - I will factor it into the equation. 60nm is about what I need for the "shakedown" of the crew - just to ensure that people who are friends ashore don't become very difficult after about 4 days on 095C!

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
We stopped off in Lossiemouth last year and very pleasant it was too. A bit of a narrow entrance, but there's a good butcher, a bus to Elgin for trains, good facilities in the west basin. Fuel and gas are from the petrol station which is a 2 min walk. Harbour staff were friendly staff, nice ice-cream.

We went from there to Cromarty, to Inverness. Big dolphins out by the fort there

Shuggy

Visit site
We stopped off at Buckie. While it's mainly commercial, the Harbour Master was extremely friendly and accommodating and we rafted up against a SEPA patrol vessel.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
I second the recommendations of Whitehills and Lossiemouth. The later has a sharp turn to port in the entrance but we managed it in a 72' boat a few times so most yachts should be OK. Lossiemouth also probably better if you need any supplies. Peterhead is also very well worth considering as a port of departure for Denmark, probably the best for supplies (Asda, Morrisons).

Last edited:

Canopy Locked

Visit site
another vote for whitehills - some of the harbours along the coast have some issues with dredging and so there tidal restrictions, depending on your draft.

I'd say Fraserburgh is out except in an emergency - commercial port

Worth considering Peterhead.

Quandary

Visit site
Alisdair
We had some sort of a conversation about a year ago about your trip, regarding possibly transiting the Crinan Canal short or single handed. If this is still on your route, my offer to help you through is still open, subject to me being around here and not elsewhere at the time. Once you have a timetable contact me by PM if you still think I can be of help.

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
There are a couple of places to stop, use the basin on the canal before leaving for fuel and food, domestic stuff as its all there. Once out of the canal there is Inverness Marina, basic no shops of facilities, then a nice port of call is Cromarty either free visitors mooring or in the harbour, very friendly and has shop, pub, bakery, hotel, water and electric on pontoon.
Then you have whitehills Marina usual services, I'd give Lossiemouth a miss unless its an emergancy and Buckie too, around the coast Fraserburgh, and Peterhead the later being excellent. It all depends on your time table. We sailed up the East coast and in to Inverness last year, most enjoyed Cromarty, and its easy access to and from the firth.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
then a nice port of call is Cromarty either free visitors mooring or in the harbour, very friendly and has shop, pub, bakery, hotel, water and electric on pontoon.

We wanted to go into Cromarty Harbour, unfortunately some pillock decided to moor their 20ft yacht in the middle of a 60ft stretch of pontoon, then a little 15ft motor boat moored on the outside of them.

With the tide running and only being able to go in one direction astern (offset prop) we had to give it a miss. It could have done with a harbour master, or a boat owner with a bit more common sense. Hey ho.:rolleyes:

We picked up one of the yacht club's moorings, but the tide was too strong to get ashore, so we stayed on board.