Lobster Pots Osborne Bay

Switch

Visit site
We anchored in Osborne Bay yesterday which was lovely. However, there were a number of what I assumed were lobster pots dotted around. I've never seen lobster pots there before.
They were clearly marked so I'm not 'having a go' I was just surprised to see them.

paradave

Visit site
The yellow bouys mark the swim area if those are the ones. I doubt it though as I think obvious they’re not lob pots.

JerseyDiver

Visit site
Spider crab season May/June. They come inshore onto sandy areas before molting shells. This type of pot will probably be removed again end of June.

Scubaboy79

Visit site
Definitely not. These are deffo pot markers.
Yes we saw them too when we anchored there on Saturday. It will be irritating on the next sunny day given they’re situated throughout the main anchoring area of Osborne, given the amount of boats ordinarily there.

Thalassa76

Visit site
Saw them last weekend, there also a load by the entrance to the Beulieu River. They arent legally marked correctly & i read that Soton HM are planning to remove any that arent .....

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Saw them last weekend, there also a load by the entrance to the Beulieu River. They arent legally marked correctly & i read that Soton HM are planning to remove any that arent .....
Not just me then. We went to Gins for lunch about a month ago. Beating into a F6 (sailing obviously) and a spring ebb was bad enough, the pot markers were a right pain

Bouba

Visit site
The yellow bouys mark the swim area if those are the ones. I doubt it though as I think obvious they’re not lob pots.
That’s a good idea...if the lobster pots were hung from the marker buoys then they wouldn’t be a hazard....out here they like lines with lots of hooks from gallon plastic container with a flag on a stick...more and more ...right pain

superheat6k

Visit site
Osborne Bay yesterday was remarkably quiet, and yes a few pot markers, but no inundated.

Would want to sail through in the dark though as all were marked by black plastic 20lt containers with nil flags or other alerts.