Llavernock back eddy

jason80369

Visit site
Hello,
I've been moored up in Cardiff Marina for about 10 months now, and I'm out quite a lot sailing and I'm contiunally learning a lot about the tides in these parts. However I do have a question.
On coming back from an overnighter down in oxwich bay, as I was coming past Barry Island and the coast watch building the flood tide started to drop off and I was starting to punch the tide. It got progressively stronger up to a point off lavernock, where I was punching a 2 knot tide. This started an hour before hw. After perusing the forum, I since found out this is typical of the back Eddy flowing down from penarth beach down to Barry. So to avoid this in future and get full benefit of the flood bringing me home, how far would I need to be off for this eddy not to affect my passage? I can see it being an absolute benefit when leaving before high water

Thanks

Jason

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
I can't tell you the distance but you can see the eddy line quite clearly in calm conditions. As you say, useful in leaving Cardiff westward. Gives you about 7-8 hours of tide.

Similar outside Portishead if you go up that way.

M