Liverpool Boatshow Cancelled

Stork_III

Visit site
So your average scouser is much more likely to break into your house, then mug and rob you while high on drugs before stealing your car but is rather less likely to rape you in the process. Thank heaven for small mercies.

Is that because the Girls in the pool are generally up for it, so less rape reported?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Then there are places that aren't Liverpool like Wilmslow, Southport, Prestbury, Alderley Edge, Knutsford, Formby, Chester, Homes Chapel, Sandbach, with lot's of posh places North of Manchester, then there is Leeds, which has the best (and expensive) shopping experience outside London.

It goes on and on, but this idea that we all filthy manual labourers or scrotes is insulting.

I come from Surrey, but made the a very good decision to escape to the saner north many years ago.

I have never regretted my move north either, and I moved about 200 miles more than you!

Sure, there are small areas with plenty of money within fifty miles of Liverpool, but that doesn't change what Liverpool is. The big question, though, is whether there are enough well off boating people in the area to support a boat show, and I doubt that very much.

Just, incidentally, as I doubt that there would be support for a boat show of that scale in Scotland. I've seen it claimed that there are more yachts based on the Hamble River than are based in Scotland.

bigwow

Visit site
Lovely architecture (in one small area). Shame about the crime rates
Burglary: 40% higher than the national average
Criminal damage: 47% higher
Drug offences: 320% higher (ie 4.2 times the national average rate)
Fraud and forgery: same as the national average (poverty balancing out criminal tendencies?)
Offences against vehicles: 35% higher
Other offences: 80% higher
Other theft offences: 11% higher
Robbery: 150% higher (2.5 times the national average rate)
Sexual offences: 30% lower
Violence against the person: 29% higher​
So your average scouser is much more likely to break into your house, then mug and rob you while high on drugs before stealing your car but is rather less likely to rape you in the process. Thank heaven for small mercies.

To be fair, Manchester also has very high crime rates, also drugs related. Liverpool exports its misery, though, as a lot of the drugs trade in Scotland comes through Liverpool and turf wars between the Liverpool and Glasgow gangs flare up regularly.

I expect the Liverpool Boat Show would have seen a lot of interest in fast speedboats capable of making night time trips to Ireland and back ...

As you seem keen on statistics, it would appear that you do not live in a very salubrious area either. Unless of course the statistics for your area are as bogus as the ones quoted for Liverpool?
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-castle-douglas.html

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
As you seem keen on statistics, it would appear that you do not live in a very salubrious area either. Unless of course the statistics for your area are as bogus as the ones quoted for Liverpool?
http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-castle-douglas.html

You'll have noticed that with the exception of "Fraud", "Other", "Dangerous Driving" and "Speeding", every single category there is way below the national average. In what way is that not very salubrious?

The high speeding and DD rates, by the way, are because the A75 runs through the middle of the area and the local rozzers can pick off speeding motorists whenever they want. DD is a common charge for exceeding 90mph on a single carriageway here.

Q. What's the difference between a cow and a tragedy?
A. Scousers don't know how to milk cows.

Signed Out

Visit site
It goes on and on, but this idea that we all filthy manual labourers or scrotes is insulting.

I come from Surrey, but made the a very good decision to escape to the saner north many years ago.

This whole thread is becoming quite petty and insulting really. Lots of stereotyping going on, but that's not unusual. Your comment doesn't exactly tell of a respect for manual labourers, wording it like that. Likewise, does moving somewhere make you local?

Am I naive thinking people can accept that public preconceptions, be they misconceptions or not, with statistics to prove them or not, are important factors when big spending is involved?

And of course the simple truth that there may not be room for another show, even for the present ones to continue as they are.

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Lovely architecture (in one small area). Shame about the crime rates

Having witnessed some poor soul being beaten to a pulp a few streets away from the "why don't they go back to the wonderful" Earls Court

And seen far too many grotty bits, and fights in "the best show is" Southampton

I feel that every location for a boat show leaves a lot to be desired. I was quite looking forward to a different show, but ho hum, if it's not going to happen, it's not going to happen.

tom52

Visit site
Ubergeekian I recognise these nasty opinions.
You really are Orbister !
Why did you change your forum identity ? Were you ashamed ?
What is you problem with Liverpool.
I thought a "right on" fellow like you would be appalled by negative stereotyping.
IIRC you have often lectured the rest of us about political correctness merely being a code to avoid giving offence. Why is your negative stereotyping and giving offence to people from Liverpool acceptable.
I suggest you compare Liverpools crime stats with other major cities not the "national average" It might be particularly instructive to have a look at the other boat show venues of London and Southampton.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
I suggest you compare Liverpools crime stats with other major cities not the "national average" It might be particularly instructive to have a look at the other boat show venues of London and Southampton.

Sure. Southampton in red. Liverpool as before.

Burglary: 40% (13%) higher than the national average
Criminal damage: 47% (89%) higher
Drug offences: 320% (22%) higher (ie 4.2 times the national average rate)
Fraud and forgery: same as the national average (53% higher) (poverty balancing out criminal tendencies?)
Offences against vehicles: 35% (35%) higher
Other offences: 80% (150%) higher
Other theft offences: 11% (69%) higher
Robbery: 150% higher (2.5 times the national average rate) (80%)
Sexual offences: 30% lower (110% higher)
Violence against the person: 29% (122%) higher​

Do it yourself for London if you want. Difficult to know where, though. Excel probably doesn't have much crime, if you ignore the financial sector at Canary Wharf.

So it looks as if Liverpool's particular blights are burglary, robbery and drugs - which I strongly suspect are related, while Southampton is worse for violence and sexual offences.

Of course many large cities - and particularly many large ex-industrial cities - have these sort of problems. I'm a Glaswegian. What's particularly special about Liverpool, and particularly unattractive - is the whining sense of entitlement which seems to permeate the place. It's always someone else's fault, someone else should always pay. Perhaps that's a legacy of the Militant years, but they're a long time ago.

Ferrari's Formula 1 team manager decided to employ some Liverpudlian teenagers as their pit crew. This was because of their renowned skill at removing car wheels quickly. At the first practice session, not only did they change all 4 wheels in 6 seconds, but within 12 seconds they had re-sprayed, re-badged & sold the car to the McLaren team for 8 cases of Stella, a bag of weed & some pictures of David Coulthard's bird on the beach.

tom52

Visit site
Thanks Ubergeekian.
Interesting use of stats., using percentages of ratios to magnify/sensationalise
Robbery Liverpool 2.4 per 1000, Southampton 1.8 per 1000, National Average 1 per 1000
becomes Liverpool 150% Southampton 80% ....and London (too big to support my case ?).
Thank you also for explaining the basis for your negative stereotyping of Liverpool. As it is your sincerely held opinion that's OK then, and any offence given must be entirely justified.......
Surely you see the irony of such a staunch supporter of racial minorities, immigrant groups and all things politically correct as yourself, creating offensive negative stereotypes and being such a rabid hater of all things Livepudlian ?

Last edited by a moderator:

chinita

Visit site
Those who feel the need to resort to statistics (for God's Sake!) to define the character of a city such as Liverpool are better staying away from the place.

They certainly would not be missed.

Sandgrounder

Visit site
You'll have noticed that with the exception of "Fraud", "Other", "Dangerous Driving" and "Speeding", every single category there is way below the national average. In what way is that not very salubrious?

The high speeding and DD rates, by the way, are because the A75 runs through the middle of the area and the local rozzers can pick off speeding motorists whenever they want. DD is a common charge for exceeding 90mph on a single carriageway here.

Q. What's the difference between a cow and a tragedy?
A. Scousers don't know how to milk cows.

Very Funny; almost funny enough to forgive your evident prejudice on the subject of Liveropool. You are sadly misinformed on what the place is like to spend time in; the worst part is that much of the bolleaux on this thread gets repeated so often that it becomes given truth.

Simon......former fresident of west Galloway and adoptive Murkeysider of 17 yrs standing so I know a bit about both patches

Madhatter

wp.me
Have I just come into the Lounge ??
Talk about racial prejudice even amongst our own " those people at Larkrise are nowhere near as good as us in Candleford ".

Another point : Boat show, I thought that meant people looking at boats was the theme so what is wrong with the general public getting a free look, maybe the odd one or two may be inspired to get a little boat,for sure they would not have paid £25 - £50 for a ticket to go to one and see boats that are way out of their league. But just like 1st time house buyers this stimulates the market.

vertford

Visit site
Had a great trip to Liverpool last year in May. Very friendly locals, dodgy bit around the Adolfi, waterfront and marina would be a great venue for a maritime event like in 2008.

Sister lives happily in L8 and no plans to return south. I give up on those silly statistics along time ago as they seem to do no real good for anything...

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Interesting use of stats., using percentages of ratios to magnify/sensationalise
Robbery Liverpool 2.4 per 1000, Southampton 1.8 per 1000, National Average 1 per 1000
becomes Liverpool 150% Southampton 80% ....and London (too big to support my case ?).

It's a perfectly reasonable way of doing it. If you prefer, you can think of it as "Liverpool 33% higher than Southampton". I didn't do it that way as I had already produced the Liverpool figures and it seemed easiest to produce the same figures for Southampton. Which, after all, is what you asked for.

Liverpool airport has been shut for the past 8 hours due to a "Suspicious car".
Apparently it had tax and insurance and the radio was still in it.