Liverpool Boatshow Cancelled

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
(snip)
I may have unwittingly contributed to the demise of the Liverpool Boat Show in a small way. When asked by my broker if he could use our boat for the Liverpool Boat Show, I told him that I wasn't keen on my boat having so many extra miles of useage to get all the way to Liverpool (i.e. Solent to Liverpool). And then there was the time needed for the journey there, the show and then the return journey (probably a whole month without the boat). So, I declined. I wonder how many other exhibitors were put off by the same logistical hurdles.

Cheers

Garold

Sounds like a good "Shake down cruise" or extended sea trial! :D

Garold

Visit site
Sounds like a good "Shake down cruise" or extended sea trial! :D

Good idea but.....

Boat came from factory on W. coast of France and was sailed so she had her 'shakedown' cruise. Didn't achieve much though because we still had a lengthy snagging list!

If it were in the summer months then maybe a period of time spent in the Scillies and Cornwall on the way back would have been a temptation. Unfortunately the Liverpool Boat Show time of year is a 'work-non-stop' period for us.

Cheers

Garold

Sailfree

Visit site
Southampton - well, the trouble there is the amount builders are charged to exhibit - literally tens of thousands, and you won't get that back by sales at the show. I suspect most builders exhibit there in order to be seen.

Are you sure I assumed London was vastly more expensive and southampton tends to be more on the water berthing.

If Southampton is expensive there is obviously scope for MDL or someone to produce an alternative boat show. £1000 discount to all bertholders that remove their boat for 2 weeks in September and charge £2000 per berth for exhibitors. Add in tent display charges and car parking charges its got to be a winner.

Obviously combined with a S/H boat display for which extra is charged those weeks it would sweep up the secondhand boat sales arranged at most marinas near southampton for the SIBS weeks.

Last edited:

Signed Out

Visit site
Never really thought much of Soton show to be honest. Best display I ever saw there was Rory McD's Cooking Fat, and I only went in as a student and got local's reduction. Certainly preferred the old Earl's Court to Excel for London.

I like the idea of mingling it with an outdoor show- in the NW this would open up a far larger market, being the centre of the country for such activities (besides geographically), with the Lakes up them6, the Yorkie Dales to the right a bit, and Snowdonia over left. Perhaps also mixing a bit of inland wetness would help- lots of canals and lakes (OK, OK, reservoirs, waters and such) up here, full of painted bucket fanciers and canoedlers too.

I didn't read up too much, but would there've been a dinghy element involved? These are relatively well represented in the region.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I think it's a great shame and I really hope they try again. I think there is room for two shows in the UK but it should be SIBS and somewhere up North. Liverpool seems to be the best place - maritime city, good transport links and easier for Wales, Ireland and the North Country. It also makes for a good weekend away if you're down south.

There are plenty of other boat shows though - Beale Park I missed this year but is always great, there's SeaWorks (this is trade only technically, but it's fascinating and well worth going to if you can), RIBEX on the IoW, all very different. The one I want to do this year is METS (I know that's Amsterdam).

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
I think it's a great shame and I really hope they try again. I think there is room for two shows in the UK but it should be SIBS and somewhere up North. Liverpool seems to be the best place - maritime city, good transport links and easier for Wales, Ireland and the North Country. It also makes for a good weekend away if you're down south.

Liverpool has reasonable train links but getting there by car is a bloody nightmare. All the motorways end a fair distance from the city centre leaving a slow crawl through some of the most miserable, depressed areas you could hope to see. The Adelphi Hotel is quite good fun, though, but don't do it during a meeting at Aintree as Irish racegoers are even noisier than scouse weddings.

Liverpool%20new%20map.jpg

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Liverpool seems to be the best place - maritime city, good transport links and easier for Wales, Ireland and the North Country.

But, as has become apparent in the last few days, using Liverpool marina meant that the organisers cannot close the show area off from the public gaze, so the curious could sit on the dockside and look at all the boats and canny exhibitors could and did rent cheap space all around the marina.

Imagine the Southampton show with most of the exhibition area as a public thoroughfare and people can look down on the pontoons from the quayside and you get an idea of the problem at Liverpool.

Signed Out

Visit site
Maybe moving even further north then? Not really anywhere else on the NW England Coast (and of course, nobody would suggest the NE...).

Glasgow area a bad idea? Certainly a far superior spot for test sails, and good connections too. But then I don't know Glasgow well at all, let alone if there's a decent park near a quay that could work.

Or if I was really pushing it, Edinburgh- Leith to be more accurate I guess, and that's a lovely city too. Not something I'd ever say about Liverpool. (Personal opinion).

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
UberGeek,
If you want to get to the heart of Liverpool, use the M53, (Mid-Wirral) M-way which is dual carriageway right into (& thro) the tunnel. Under 2 squid IIRC, & takes you into the heart of the city. Sightly longer than other routes perhaps, but avoids the drag in from The Rocket, Prescot.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
UberGeek,
If you want to get to the heart of Liverpool, use the M53, (Mid-Wirral) M-way which is dual carriageway right into (& thro) the tunnel. Under 2 squid IIRC, & takes you into the heart of the city. Sightly longer than other routes perhaps, but avoids the drag in from The Rocket, Prescot.

I've tried all routes in and the M53 is not great advantage when you're coming from the north, as you have to go so much further down the M6 to get to it.

On the bright side, we used to have a competition so see how long it would take to spot a bloke with a dodgy 'tache and a dodgy perm and a shell suit while crawling through the town. Never took longer than three minutes, record was 40 seconds.

Seajet

Visit site
Only the most rabid loon would consider another boat show, in Liverpool of all places; I agree Excel is bad enough ( went there once when I had reason to, never again; and I live in the South ! ) call me cynical, but I suspect someone somewhere has done nicely out of suggesting the idea...:cool:

Highland Bear

South Bucks but pining for Scotland / Hamble Point
Visit site
Sad but inevitable

Whilst it's a shame, no sane person would try to launch a NEW business enterprise aimed at higher end discretionary spending in an already economically challenged part of the country with the added hazard of global recession and public sector cuts in an area which relies heavily on public sector for jobs, investment etc etc.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Whilst it's a shame, no sane person would try to launch a NEW business enterprise aimed at higher end discretionary spending in an already economically challenged part of the country with the added hazard of global recession and public sector cuts in an area which relies heavily on public sector for jobs, investment etc etc.

A bit of a sweeping and erroneous statement seeing as there is a considerable amount of big money around here. It isn't all dark satanic mills.

We have millionaires and road sweepers, just like much like much of the country and even a road sweeper is allowed to afford a small boat.

Forget the money and concentrate on the amount of sea we have around here - that is what makes people buy boats.

Signed Out

Visit site
Only need to drive through places like Cheadle Hulme to see the amount of disposable income in the NW.

But I am not sure about the amount of sea we have around here- it be all runs away every few hours!

chinita

Visit site
A bit of a sweeping and erroneous statement seeing as there is a considerable amount of big money around here. It isn't all dark satanic mills.

We have millionaires and road sweepers, just like much like much of the country and even a road sweeper is allowed to afford a small boat.

Forget the money and concentrate on the amount of sea we have around here - that is what makes people buy boats.

+1

The problem is the jaded perception people have of Liverpool. A City which, I believe, now has one of the most impressive waterfronts in the world.

Signed Out

Visit site
Shame about the obsession with that bleedin band. Can't escape that tedious music.

And have they made it easier to get between Albert Dock and the city without getting run over yet?

Baltic Fleet a decent pub though (last time I was there).

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
The problem is the jaded perception people have of Liverpool. A City which, I believe, now has one of the most impressive waterfronts in the world.

Lovely architecture (in one small area). Shame about the crime rates
Burglary: 40% higher than the national average
Criminal damage: 47% higher
Drug offences: 320% higher (ie 4.2 times the national average rate)
Fraud and forgery: same as the national average (poverty balancing out criminal tendencies?)
Offences against vehicles: 35% higher
Other offences: 80% higher
Other theft offences: 11% higher
Robbery: 150% higher (2.5 times the national average rate)
Sexual offences: 30% lower
Violence against the person: 29% higher​
So your average scouser is much more likely to break into your house, then mug and rob you while high on drugs before stealing your car but is rather less likely to rape you in the process. Thank heaven for small mercies.

To be fair, Manchester also has very high crime rates, also drugs related. Liverpool exports its misery, though, as a lot of the drugs trade in Scotland comes through Liverpool and turf wars between the Liverpool and Glasgow gangs flare up regularly.

I expect the Liverpool Boat Show would have seen a lot of interest in fast speedboats capable of making night time trips to Ireland and back ...

Signed Out

Visit site
I also heard that car insurance premiums are higher in the part of Wigan near to the end of the M58 due to the place at the other end. But hearsay be seamonsters.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Lovely architecture (in one small area). Shame about the crime rates
Burglary: 40% higher than the national average
Criminal damage: 47% higher
Drug offences: 320% higher (ie 4.2 times the national average rate)
Fraud and forgery: same as the national average (poverty balancing out criminal tendencies?)
Offences against vehicles: 35% higher
Other offences: 80% higher
Other theft offences: 11% higher
Robbery: 150% higher (2.5 times the national average rate)
Sexual offences: 30% lower
Violence against the person: 29% higher​
So your average scouser is much more likely to break into your house, then mug and rob you while high on drugs before stealing your car but is rather less likely to rape you in the process. Thank heaven for small mercies.

To be fair, Manchester also has very high crime rates, also drugs related. Liverpool exports its misery, though, as a lot of the drugs trade in Scotland comes through Liverpool and turf wars between the Liverpool and Glasgow gangs flare up regularly.

I expect the Liverpool Boat Show would have seen a lot of interest in fast speedboats capable of making night time trips to Ireland and back ...

Then there are places that aren't Liverpool like Wilmslow, Southport, Prestbury, Alderley Edge, Knutsford, Formby, Chester, Homes Chapel, Sandbach, with lot's of posh places North of Manchester, then there is Leeds, which has the best (and expensive) shopping experience outside London.

It goes on and on, but this idea that we all filthy manual labourers or scrotes is insulting.

I come from Surrey, but made the a very good decision to escape to the saner north many years ago.