Liveaboard on the Norfolk Broads

hartcjhart

Visit site
As the title says I am looking for a reasonably priced marina on the Broads that will allow me to stay on the boat for apx 8 weeks at a time(mostly in the winter) post is no problem but flexibility is.
I work in contracting so spend most of the year away from 'home'' however when at the marina I would take the boat out now and again.
I am looking at a boat at apx 10mtrs probably from Holland,sadly my best mate who was a fully qualified Captain has passed away so unsure about when exactly/ where the boat would be.
Any help,advice gratefully received,keep safe,and lets hope the vaccine comes soon

syvictoria

Visit site
As the title says I am looking for a reasonably priced marina on the Broads that will allow me to stay on the boat for apx 8 weeks at a time(mostly in the winter) post is no problem but flexibility is.
I work in contracting so spend most of the year away from 'home'' however when at the marina I would take the boat out now and again.
I am looking at a boat at apx 10mtrs probably from Holland,sadly my best mate who was a fully qualified Captain has passed away so unsure about when exactly/ where the boat would be.
Any help,advice gratefully received,keep safe,and lets hope the vaccine comes soon

Hi. So long as you have an address elsewhere, and you are ideally seen to be taking the boat out every so often, I don't imagine that you'll have much of a problem anywhere, Broads or otherwise. The key is having an address elsewhere. You won't be living aboard - just having long holidays on the boat. If someone spent 2-3 days a year on their boat every week for 6-7 months, they'd be spending a similar amount of time/nights on board overall, and many do this. Do however check individual marina T&Cs before paying any money, just in case they have any quirky conditions!

Mooring availability on the Broads has been a problem this last year with demand outstripping supply. I would suggest that you put yourself on the waiting list of any marina that has the required location and/or facilities (showers, etc. perhaps).

Do shout if you need any further info as I know the Broads well. It's a beautiful area - and generally speaking we're all pretty friendly here!

syvictoria

Visit site
Sorry, I've just realised that I misread your OP slightly (I read it as 8 weeks once, not several times a year). You're still unlikely to have much of a problem if you keep your head down. There are very few true liveaboard moorings on the Broads - the Broads Authority are not very supportive of living aboard! I would suggest that you therefore just say that you intend to use your boat regularly when you're not at work, rather than mentioning living aboard! Lot's of people do spend weeks at a time on their boats on the Broads and hence the proliferation of ex-hire motor cruisers about the place. Have you thought about buying an ex hire boat or similar locally? That is sometimes the best way to get a mooring, assuming that the mooring is transferable (most are, but not all) and the vendor doesn't wish to retain it.