Live aboards In Edinburgh

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
Hi

I am thinking about living aboard in the Edinburgh area as work in moving me there for a year or so.

Are there any marinas around Edinburgh that allow liveaboards? Or I wondered about using the canal.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards
Graham

roblpm

Visit site
Hi

I am thinking about living aboard in the Edinburgh area as work in moving me there for a year or so.

Are there any marinas around Edinburgh that allow liveaboards? Or I wondered about using the canal.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Regards
Graham

Well i am in port edgar and i dont think there is anyone living there. Not sure about their attitude but the swell is terrible. Only a tyre wall. I was down there this evening whem the racing was cancelled due to high winds and the pontoons were moving up and down a lot. So not a good move i think.

If you don't care about sailing etc the canal might be a good option. I think there are some residential moorings available. Im not sure the Forth is a great liveaboard area! The clyde has a lot more options i think!

sarabande

Visit site
I lived at Cramond for several months while on a contract . Some small boats in the river; perhaps a chat with the club ?

To the East, Cockenzie and Seton both dry out, but might be a possibility.

maxi77

Visit site
Having had several boats in Port Edgar it is certainly uncomfortable in very bad weather but easy for town. The Union Canal is shallow and best suited to canal barges but there are some berths on the Forth and Clyde in the Grangemouth sea lock which may suit. The moorings in Granton belong to the Royal Forth and Forth Corinthians and you would need to ask them. There are berths in places like Kirkaldy, Burntisland on the north side not perhaps with any real services but may not care about liveaboards. Good luck