Live aboard potential.

gabe63

Visit site
Hi everyone,
My wife and I wish to live aboard a yacht but need certain perameters to be met, i.e. 35ft+ LOA, 11ft+ Beam & 6ft+ headroom. With a budget upto £53k are there any specific manufacturers we should be looking at ? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

philfin

Visit site
It all really depends on what you are planning on doing and where you are planning doing it.

Basically the world is your Oyster and for your budget v dimensions you will be spoilt for choice (though probably not an Oyster!)

As said there are numorous posts on the subject on the Liveaboard section. The whole topic raises so many opinions and there is seldom a right answer. You just have to weigh everything up and then try and decide what is right for you and your circumstances.

If you wait until you think you have "perfect knowledge" or rhe "perfect boat", you will never do anything. Accept some compremises and get on with it and enjoy, is my only advice.

wanderlust

Visit site
Not everyones cup of tea but you would get a Prout 37 catamaran for that sort of money. Lots of live aboard space. Ocean cruising potensial, shallow draft, headroom, etc,

oldsaltoz

Visit site
having lived aboard all manner of craft in the last 50 odd years ranging from 20 foot mono to 42 cat, I can assure you SHMBO will be happier on a cat.

More space in less length, more stable under sail and at rest, easy to handle short handed.

Things to look for:
Galley up (in saloon)with cool drinks fridge next to companionway, Deep anchor chain locker near mast foot with a power winch and remote, good under bridge deck clearance, twin engines with their own bulk heads fore and aft, leaves no engine smell on board. Heavy items like water tanks and battery banks located close to midships in hulls. Good battery charger system and shore power wired in. Gas hot water system with back up mains system using a common tank if possible. proper collection sump and pump out for shower. Power board with circuit breakers and LED indicators for power on.

Twin 30 HP engines will burn about 3 litres an hour in cruise mode, less if motor sailing.

Water capacity about 300 litres minimum, with 12 volt pressure pump.

Fuel tanks can be located at the forward end of the cockpit in the hulls above the engines between the engine bulkheads. This configuration still leaves enough space for double berths aft.

If monohull make sure it's stiff or SWMBO may protest, not because it tilts, but because everything falls on the floor and makes a mess.

Andavagoodweekend......