Live aboard in North London

lanason

Visit site
Now then as you lot know by now I have a new Job in North London (Enfield area) - But living in a Hotel all week is painful and costs the company a lot. Now if I lived on board my boat then I could do that for a lot longer at the same cost.

So what I need to know is :-
Are there any Marinas / Moorings in that area of London (I dont want hrs of travelling every morning). I guess the King George V reservoir is out of bounds to stinkpots !!!!

Now my mate is thinking of doing the same but he works in Wembley area. So wheres the closest place for him to put his boat.

In hopeful anticipation of some really useful answers

Adrian

I got a new Job !!!!!!

ccscott49

Visit site
Don't know London, sorry, but isn't the Thames about the only place around there you could put a boat, or are we talking more towards, canals or essex river type area? Well done on the job front by the way, good on yer' I know theres possibilities in the Old Isleworth area of west London, a mate lives close to the London Aprentice pub and theres chances on the river there.

Forbsie

Visit site
Have a look at the River Lee. Not too far from Enfield and not that bad for Wembley either but don't fancy the traffic.

http://www.leevalleypark.org.uk/

You could also consider Camden Lock and take the tube/train. Also the marina at Blackwall is full of liveaboards but I recall quite expensive.

coliholic

Visit site
Yes for Enfield all you've really got close by is the River Lee, but it's narrow beam only I think. Some nice moorings at Stanstead Abbotts and Hoddesdon, but don't remember much in Enfield or Edmonton. Perhaps EA or is this a BW river (?) could help. Only other option is Thames but then you've got the M25 every day and that's no fun at all.

If its just cheap accommodation you're after, best option would be a secondhand caravan and pitch it at Picketts Lock in Edmonton. Nice camp site and lots to do of an evening. We took our touring van there 7 or 8 years ago and there was quite a few people obviously doing this. You could see them all disappear off to work in the mornings in their suits and then back in the evenings, Mon-Thurs then back to their real homes on Friday night.

lanason

Visit site
River Lee looks interesting - Has anyone any information about it. Has anyone been down it esp near the reservoirs ....

Adrian

......the answer is not 42 - so what is it ?? ........

tr7v8

Visit site
My brothers narrow boat is at Stansted Abbots on the Lee, just had a quick word with him and he's very happy. Apparently it's wide beam and plenty of depth, air draught shouldn't be a problem either.
His comment is go speak to Mike Goddard and DON'T tell him you want to live aboard.
Nearest station is St. Margerets and it's less than 40 mins to Liverpool St.

PM me and I'll give you his mail addy.

Jim
-----------