Live aboard heads

mike_bryon

Visit site
We have the bog standard production Jebesco heads and they do not seem up to the amount of use on a family live aboard boat. Can anyone recommend a more durable alternative? The toilets ashore are used as much as possible but with 4 young children it is not always practical.

<hr width=100% size=1>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
We fitted an electric retrofit pump which masserates (at a massive noise level!) Our reason was because my wife was fed up of hand pumping. It was about £350 though, but if I've undestood your problem, it will sort it for good.
The 'off with the old hand pump and on with the electric' was quite straightforward and I run it from the bow-thruster battery which is nearby.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sunnyseeker

Visit site
Bavaria used to fit Reinman or Rheinman heads...we had them on our old Bav....they are really tough all metal cylinder and levers, easily serviced, no delicate plastice bits. and they never smelt bad

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Mike!

There IS only one really - Lavac. Yes, you can pay a fortune for a Baby Blakes but, and I speak having had one on my previous boat, it's real pain to use, always seemed to have a minor leak somewhere and is a nightmare to explain to guests! The spares require a small mortgage.

By contrast, the Lavac is now generally accepted as the best (reasonably priced) head by most liveaboard cruisers I meet. Because it's such a simple, easily understood design, it doesn't require a degree in engineering to strip and service, and the spares are readily available just about anywhere.

An added bonus for me, is that the pump is a Henderson Mk5 - exactly the same as my bilge pump, so in an emergency (either way!) they, or the parts, are interchangeable.

We are back in the UK doing a big refit after 7 years cruising, so the Lavac has 'seen service' as they say, however, aside from stripping and cleaning the pump there was nothing to do to it. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Good sailing!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Tomsk

Visit site
As a group of 'Toilet' experts...

Does anyone know a manufacturer of 'larger than average' loos??

I'm not a small guy, and am a little large in the Butt department. I currently have a Jabasco head that quite frankly is impossible to use for anything other than a pee. I have room to fit something larger (just) if only I can find one. I see 'compact' and 'regular' being advertised, but this seems primarily to relate to the depth of the bowl, not so much the diameter!

Anybody have any embarrsment saving advice?

<hr width=100% size=1>Tomsk -

What the hell... it's only money!

wolfgang

Visit site
we have just replaced our old ITT's with Tecma electric toilets. they function perfectly, are quiet and extremely clean + easy to use also for our kids. with the mercerator pump included, there is no problem with clogging, or holding tank operation. they are well worth serious consideration

<hr width=100% size=1>