Little American boats

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I knew it would be a cat rig. David Moss builds some with the rig, and really nicely done. A 16 footer, I think, maybe other sizes too.
IMG_0238.jpeg
Edited for photo evidence.

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
Michalac pens some odd but workable designs inspired by Phil Bolger. Simple to build and they get you out on the water. Some people sniff a bit, but they give plenty of people enjoyment.

Ply was big in the 50s and 60s, gave way to GRP, but epoxy makes it viable for durable one offs. Just look at RM..

Wansworth

Visit site
Michalac pens some odd but workable designs inspired by Phil Bolger. Simple to build and they get you out on the water. Some people sniff a bit, but they give plenty of people enjoyment.

Ply was big in the 50s and 60s, gave way to GRP, but epoxy makes it viable for durable one offs. Just look at RM..
Almost perfect material for amateur construction

DownWest

Visit site
Almost perfect material for amateur construction
I built my first ply dinghy when aged 11. Of course Aerolite 306 resin glue, so joints, not stitch and glue or modern epoxy techniques.
With big gaps, now on my second epoxy ply build. Don't like stitch and fillet, or tape, so still using it as a glue, rather than a fillet with tape.. Very happy, and, it is a Bolger derivative cat yawl.

Poignard

Visit site

When I lived in Hong-Kong I owned a plywood YW 'People's Boat.

She had been built there using Brunzeel plywood and to a high standard, the teak tiller even had a dragon's head carved on it.

She sailed very well and was easy to handle.

When I left to return to the UK I would have liked to have had her shipped back but it would have cost too much.

Wansworth

Visit site

She had been built there using Brunzeel plywood and to a high standard, the teak tiller even had a dragon's head carved on it.

When I left to return to the UK I would have liked to have had her shipped back but it would have cost too much.
I cherished the pictures and introductory plan of the people’s boat🙂

Buck Turgidson

Visit site

You should have sailed her home!
😂😂

Tranona

Visit site
That would have been some voyage. 😂
The first Eventide Borer Bee was built in Singapore and sailed home to UK via the Suez Canal. Extensively written up at the time by the builder a Commander Atkinson who went ion to work with Hartwells building the first 3 Eventide 26s one of which was Tranona which I owned from 1980 to 2019. He was a regular crew on her with the first owner. Borer Bee is still with us in a rather sorry state and looking for a new owner to complete the rebuild.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks for that. You will find details of Borer Bees current state on the same site - i was looking at it just yesterday, checking up on the latest Eventide news. I have seen dozens of Eventides over the years and still think Tranona is one of the best, particularly after I deepened the keel and rudder, got rid of the bilge keels and extended the coachroof. It does show that an attractive boat can be created out of humble materials.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_171849.jpg
    IMG_20190717_171849.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 10

Poignard

Visit site
Thanks for that. You will find details of Borer Bees current state on the same site - i was looking at it just yesterday, checking up on the latest Eventide news. I have seen dozens of Eventides over the years and still think Tranona is one of the best, particularly after I deepened the keel and rudder, got rid of the bilge keels and extended the coachroof. It does show that an attractive boat can be created out of humble materials.
Certainly a very attractive boat; the attractiveness enhanced by a clever colour scheme.