lifting sling for tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke

rigpigpaul

Visit site
Hi All, I have bought a Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke outboard. I need to fit a lifting sling. I have looked online and found a couple. Would I be better making my own which would be a better fit. Any advice appreciated.
RPP

Shearmyste

Visit site
I use a polyester round sling available from lifting suppliers, I just measured around the underside of the motor frame and above the engine cover in a figure of eight and join it with a shackle above the engine cover, the sling cost less than 20 quid, lasted 3 years so far with no detriment.

Gin

Visit site
Thinking that a professionally made sling for my 4hp Yam would be best, I first bought an Italian made one- can’t remember the name at the moment but it began with an ‘O’ I think- it was useless as it was complicated and came with little or no instructions- I think Seamark Nunn supplied it and even they couldn’t fathom it out when I enquired
My next one was American - Davis brand I think- that was a little better but one strap as additional security around the neck of the power head was no good. When I did get it sort of rigged I found that the centre of gravity of the motor meant it didn’t suspend vertically and as the top of the housing was domed , the whole lot just slid off the motor even if tightened up so tightly that the carrying handle couldn’t be used.
I then made up my own, first from cordage which proved ok as it was a custom fit and then I used that design to buy some webbing and clips from B&Q - which cost a fraction of the professional offerings and was much more secure ie no risk of the motor falling out if it’s sling

Neeves

Visit site
Most lifting equipment suppliers here, in Oz, will supply any design of sling you need. Work out what you want, make one up from rope, and then go to the supplier and describe what you need. They will probably improve on your ideas and offer decent and reliable clips etc.

But you can buy tape from a variety of sources, climbing equipment shops are a good start, and you can make your own. A decent sewing machine will handle tape and there is so little sewing - you could do it by hand.

The trick is, as Gin suggests, getting the design such that the o/b hangs correctly, they are not particularly well designed for hanging.

Jonathan

geem

Visit site
We made covers for our two engines (Yamaha 15hp Enduro and Tohatsu 9.8, both two strokes) that incorporate lifting slings. They also have a mount for an all round white light. The slings are very simple with no plastic parts to fail in the sun. Jack stay webbing, s/s rings and V92 thread.
The covers are made of Acrylic canvas and work very well to protect the engine. In addition the covers have reflective tape to improve our visibility at night

Attachments

• 21BD4391-49FA-4715-BF46-97D17F369125.jpg
    21BD4391-49FA-4715-BF46-97D17F369125.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 97C37014-7C64-4E67-8A88-BE89841609E0.jpg
    97C37014-7C64-4E67-8A88-BE89841609E0.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: