Liferaft position poll

Free the Cliff poll

• As a consenting geographical feature Highcliffe should be allowed to move to Hampshire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thin end of wedge we can't allow features to move around

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Poignard

Visit site
I don't carry one but, if I did, I think I would carry it in the cockpit at sea, so as to reduce the volume of the cockpit and also to have it handy in case it was needed. In port I would shift it onto the coachroof.

Independence

Visit site
I met a couple of guys who had been rolled in the Bay of Biscay. They kept their liferaft just forward of the mast only to find that when the mast came down the rigging cut through the valise like a wire cheese cutter.

I now keep mine aft of the mast.

FullCircle

Visit site
I voted wrong. I meant to vote for Cradle on the pushpit, but voted for on the deck. Doh.
The reality is, that it isnt on the pushpit, its lower down onto the sloping transom, but easily launched from the pushpit.

Thinking: If I am pooped, the cradle is under compression mainly into the transom and pushpit. If I dive and take it over the front, the raft is partially(mostly) blanketed by the transom/cockpit mouldings.
If am rolled, well, I guess thats pot luck, but the cradle is secured as best I can with backing plates.

I hope never to avail myself of the facility. Cough.

Norman_E

Visit site
I voted for "Mounted on Pushpit", but mine is actually on a custom made bracket lower down on the transom.
My original liferaft was a very heavy 10 man job in a valise, and I could hardly lift it. As it was far too big anyway I sold it, and bought the only 4 man liferaft I could get in Turkey, made by Lalizas, and definitely not what I would have chosen if I had any alternatives. Where it is mounted, launching it will be a simple matter of undoing two quick releases and pushing it away fom the transom. The string round the middle was a temporary fixing while the securing straps were fitted and will be removed before sailing.
043.jpg

Harpsden

www.skipperslog.com
Also in a valise under the helm - the position is even labelled by the maker for that purpose. The report of the rescue by the RNLI of crew from a yacht at Gravesend has made me think again about the location of all the safety gear.

RNLI Rescue off Gravesend

When the boat goes back in the water I'm going to make a real attempt to move the safety gear to where it can be accessed even more quickly although I'm finding it very hard to work out how.

Harpsden

JasonB

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The report of the rescue by the RNLI of crew from a yacht at Gravesend has made me think again about the location of all the safety gear.

RNLI Rescue off Gravesend

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a sobering report, I would have always expected at least a couple of minutes. With my five year old and one year old on board I wouldn't like to think of the outcome .

J.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
"And the close call for the yacht crew had an even sweeter happy ending thanks to the rescue efforts of Gravesend RNLI, as Graham explained: ‘The young girl was pretty distraught by all of this when we were all back at the lifeboat station pier. She had lost her teddy bear, but we even managed to rescue that from the water – she seemed to cheer up quite a lot when we handed him back to her, a little sodden, but still intact.’"

Human touch as well though!

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Norman and Fullcircle are spot on with the life raft being in the right place. I too have mine fixed in a cradle on the stern, with the safety catch unlocked a 4 year old could launch it.

For those who keep their liferaft in a cockpit locker or below deck, could you please do yourself a favour and ask the weakest crew member to get it onto deck for launching, time them, you may be horrified, even the smallest 4 man raft in a valise is heavy.

Even those rafts stored on the coach roof are in a susceptible position, if the mast comes down, can you still get to the raft, in heavy seas can you lift the raft off its cradle to launch? Just think about it, if you are going to carry safety equipment it needs to be accessible and usable, not there just to tick a box.