Lifejackets - just to stir somthing up!

Boat44

Solent (but never on a bank holiday weekend)
Visit site
I know there is a good healthy debate on her as to the pros and cons of spending £10 getting your lifejacket serviced. And it seems a bit quiet on here so…....

We just had all our lifejackets serviced. One light was broken, one co2 cartridge had "leaked", one crotch strap had gone missing, and the real reason I'm happy to pay the £10; one life jacket failed when inflated.

Ok that wasn’t £10 as I had to pay for a new lifejacket, but just goes to show what can happen in a year!

Role on summer!!

Resolution

Visit site
I also tested mine for the first time in three years, bringing them home, blowing up with a lilo hand pump, & checking gas cannisters. All fine, as expected.
The real advantage however was to try wearing them fully inflated - very bulky and restricting, even in the living room. If one had been in the water and trying to climb into the liferaft or back aboard - wow!

So, take them home and familiarise!

flaming

Visit site
Or go on a survival course and experience wearing them in the water, even if it is a nice warm pool.

Can't recomend that course highly enough.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Good point. use an inflator, dont blow them up with your mouth, you'll fill them with damp air that will help degrade them.

Another good point, wear them when inflated, better still though, if you are going to replace the cylinder, then put one on and get your wife, crew whoever sails with you to do the same, and pull the inflation toggle to experience the inflation, it will be less of a shock then, if, in the unlikely event it is for real

misterg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wear your lifejacket at home..hmmmmmmm.......am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it prevents just one death, then it's worth the inconvenience....

(Oh lord help us)

Andy

bobgoode

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wear your lifejacket at home..hmmmmmmm.......am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's the very latest EU dictat. Lifejackets to be worn whenever you are within 5 metres of a tap whilst in the home. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

PaulR

Home West Sussex, Boat on Mooring in Gosport
Visit site
agree it is an experience to wear one inflated - had one go off unexpectedly last year when at the helm and hit by water (lots) - combination of face full of cold sea (it was january) + sudden compression around chest and face when jacket inflated and subsequent laughs all round when realised what had happened was memorable - glad to know it worked - do take mine home each winter and inflate and leave overnight to make sure they stay up and check cylinder - worth doing in my view

bikedaft

Visit site
if you use the cylinder to blow them up for the yearly check the piercing pin will quickly become too blunt to operate. but you won't know until its too late (same technology as push bike tyre inflation co2 cylinders), so suggest pump to inflate as above to avoid damp.

i got 6 lifejackets with the boat i just bought, only one was serviceable.... of the other 5, 4 were fixable, new cylinders, firing mechanisms etc. so well worth checking!

davidfox

Visit site
I carry out a visual check every year, and last year I bought new cylinders for all, intending to replace them, in preparation, i put on one of the jackets and inflated via the toggle, it operated fine, all the cylinders looked ok and i thought 'do i need to replace these'? - so i didnt, is there a way of checking the cylinders are still ok by weighing, is there a published weight that they should be, I have access to a set of v accurate digital scales?

Gumpy

Visit site
And if you don't have accurate scales than go to the Post Office if you can find one.
I have just weighed all my cylinders at the local PO they were a bit bemused.
Out of 7 jackets one failed due to an out of date auto release mechanism, so not using that one this year. Having said that I will have 3 to replace next year, the other 4 are manual