Lifejacket recommendations?

colind3782

In the market for a new lifejacket which will be light, comfortable, off my neck and with a harness.

Any recommendations? I know I should try them all on but I'm in Shropshire, a long way from any big chandlers/suppliers so I'd like to narrow the field first.

sailorman

we have just bought Spinlock Deckvests. seem heavy to start with but one gets accustomed & we have in the past only really used britax harness`s, that are light & comfortable. i find using the crotch straps a hindrance as im not used to them & possibly need to try different adjustments. heeling down then getting up the straps hinder movement

jac

Too many variables for recommendations IMHO . What fits one person may not be comfortable for another and any from a reputable maker should be of suitable quality. You can only really select by trying them on.

AS well as comfort / fit - the other key features are really things like crotch straps, a good D ring for harness attachment, a sprayhood and light.

Talulah

Personally I'm a fan of Baltic Winner Lifejackets. Bought black ones so doesn't show blackening due to damp. (Bladder is still orange.)
I've had Crewsaver but their servicing costs are too high. Nothing wrong with the lifejacket though.
I also have Spinlock but not a fan of their thigh straps so converted the straps myself to crotch straps.
Don't bother with hydrostatic but recommend auto not manual for cruising.

(I go into the Baltic distrubutor once a year to collect my serviced life jackets. Pleasant people to deal with. Some brands I wouldn't be able to have such a direct point of contact.)

Last edited:

pmagowan

We bought spinlock and like them. I don't notice I have one on. I don't always use the crotch strap unless it seems prudent.

Plevier

I have a Kru Sport Pro which I find extremely comfortable compared with any other I've tried.
However I hate the double soft loops for tether attachment on the front; very difficult to use with a Gibb hook.
Fiddly to attach and would be next to impossible to undo if you were struggling in the water in a knockdown/capsize/hanging over the guard wires. It worries me.

sailorman

I have a Kru Sport Pro which I find extremely comfortable compared with any other I've tried.
However I hate the double soft loops for tether attachment on the front; very difficult to use with a Gibb hook.
Fiddly to attach and would be next to impossible to undo if you were struggling in the water in a knockdown/capsize/hanging over the guard wires. It worries me.
The spinlock has a blade in a pocket, to cut the tether

Sandy

See my OP
I find that a Life Jacket is a very personal bit of kit. It needs to fit the wearer, be comfortable and functional. To quote my tailor we are all different and not symmetrical. You really do need to line them up, put them on, wander about the shop and wave your arms about.

They all do the same job, but what feels comfortable on me won't feel comfortable on you.

Personally, I wear a Crewsaver 190N and once on don't know I am wearing it.

pvb

I bought a couple of Crewsaver Ergofit 190 lifejackets last year. Fairly comfortable to wear, the crotch straps have quick-release buckles. But I find putting it on is a pain, the zip front fastening is very difficult to do up. Probably wouldn't recommend them.

Neil

I went over the top with a Crewsaver Ergofit Extreme 290 - on the basis that when I'm single-handing, I wanted a decent one and when I went to buy an Ocean or Offshore, they only had the Extreme in stock (but at a reduced price so I went for it). It's big and heavy, but you don't notice when it's on

mm42

I've had both Crewsaver Ergofit Offshore and Spinlock Deckvest. Of the two the Ergofit is the slightly more comfortable of the two but I've done long days in both without discomfort and the Spinlock is a 290N which may explain why it is a tiny amount less comfy than the Crewsaver.

Debenair

The boss and I have had Spinlock deck vests for 7 years now and I don't notice I have the LJ on now. We also have a couple of Kro pro sport jobs for guests, and some elderly Baltics without crutch straps regularly serviced but shut away in the loft.
The zip front on the Krumand the single crutch strap make them slightly easier to don, but on the whole I prefer the Spinlock.
We also gave the matching elasticised tethers so you can loop it around your neck when not in use without tripping over it all the time.
Like so much else it is down to comfort and therefore personal choice. We are fortunate there are so many good products out there.

ronsurf

Personally, I would avoid a lifejacket with a Hammar mech. I expect they are the best around, but they are expensive to re-arm.

mm42

Personally, I would avoid a lifejacket with a Hammar mech. I expect they are the best around, but they are expensive to re-arm.

Unless you're buying loads and loads of them, or are seriously unlucky and frequently end up over the side, it's not a huge cost though is it?

ronsurf

Unless you're buying loads and loads of them, or are seriously unlucky and frequently end up over the side, it's not a huge cost though is it?
It's not a huge cost, but it's more of a cost than the UML ones. If you have three lifejackets on board and they all go out of date at the same time, +1 spare it's a lot more than the UML ones!

Last edited: