Life Rafts

wheneverIcan

Visit site
Hopefully we will never need one but can anyone suggest a good model of life raft - typically 2 adults and 2 kids on the boat but sometimes 1 or 2 more.

We are planning a cross channel trip at some point with a few other boats but other than that do mainly solent or poole cruising with 5 miles off shore our normal maximum. We normally carry a deflated dinghy and blow it up when needed but have been advised this is not good enough for life preservance and I can completely understand why.

Any tips or experiences greatly appreciated - don't really have a budget in mind.

Simon

<hr width=100% size=1>

Happy1

N/A
Visit site
Have you thought about rental. I was going to buy a life raft but in the end bought a strong childs rubber dinghy for inland coastal waters, we will keep it inflated in the cuddy cabin so in the event of the worst happening we would put our 14mth old in it and we would hang around the sides, Not perfect, but better than nothing. On major trips like to the IOW I may rent one, I then don't have the worry of servicing it, maitenance, theft problems and where to store it when I don't really need it problems.

When I looked at them at the boat show, all are of a certain standard. The cheaper ones are made of a continuos tube which kind of buckles at the corners to make the square shape (no real problem there) The more expensive ones have these corners cut and glued to look pretty. Infact some just looked like a paddling pool with a roof on.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple> "You only see what you recognise, and you only recognise what you know" <font color=purple>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I've just ordered an 'Arimar' but there must be half a dozen makes which are equally as good. The decision for me was what size. The boat is licensed for 10 people but 2 people rattling round a 10 man inflatable is unstable so we pitched for a 6 person, which also was a weight that one person can manage (30Kg)
hope we never have to use it.
I believe Plastimo will give you a free new one if you ever have to use one is a distress situation, I guess in exchange for your story.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>Your dinghy is more than adequate for what your needs. Just have it inflated when you set off. In the highly unlikely event you will ever need it, it will not be because of rough weather, it will because you are leaving your boat for another reason. Unless of course you plan going out in weather bad enough to sink a well found boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

c_j

Visit site
Arimar? is that Plastimo? Valise of Cannister?
I am just thinking about buying 6 man and looked at Zodiac and Avon at LBS
Self righting?
Would you reccomend the Plastimo and why?

Any body tell me why Valise preffered to Canister?

<hr width=100% size=1>CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.stone.uk.com>http://www.stone.uk.com</A>

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Arimar is Italian and I'm based in Sardinia (hence logic of my decision). Plastimo is French I believe. I went for Valaise because on the Sealine 37 the seat lifts up to reveal a good space where a soft case will fit snugly in. The cannister is more for rear or deck mounting where it will be exposed.
The Arimars are actually a bit cheaper here than in Italy.
David

<hr width=100% size=1>